EGR system clogged.

SC88Pathy

So my check engine light came on last thursday night when I was coming home from work. So I pulled the code and it came back EGR function. I had paid quite a bit when I first got the car six months ago to get the EGR system fixed so I was kinda pissed about this. Anyway I took the pathy back to the mechanics yesterday and they took the egr apart and found it was clogged with carbon. Now they completely cleaned it last time as well as replaced a couple of parts so this struck me as weird. The mechanic said that high mileage engines can make a lot of carbon buildup, but in only six months? Is it just me or does this seem a little fast for that much carbon to build up? Any ideas on what could be causing this (besides the engine burning oil which it isn't)?

If they replaced the EGR valve with an after market, it could be. I replaced mine with an aftermarket and started noticing a higher oil consumption. I was talking to one of my friends who's a mechanic and he told me some aftermarket EGR valves didn't work right and I should try cleaning my OEM one. I did and my oil consumption went back down........hmmmm, weird.

So in your case it's possible it didn't take much carbon to clog it????

Denis

I was getting the idiot light cause of the EGR all the time about 6 months ago. I took it off and just cleaned it repeatedly with carb cleaner while working the diaphram thing. I figured what the he!!, its already toast so it couldn't hurt. Cleaned out a bunch of crud, and its mostly fine now. I very occassionally get a light (and check the code to verify), such as sometimes long cruising at about 40mph in 4th gear. Must be that rpm, cause shifting to 3rd or 5th clears it up quick. Just a pretty much free suggestion. They want an arm and a leg for a new valve, and many areas can't pass inspections without them.

Lucas makes an awesome injector cleaner. It is petrolium based, not solvent based.

You can try replacing a quart of oil with some Marvel Mystery Oil to clean your system out. Worked wonders cleaning all the carbon buildup in my truck when I first got it. Even cleared up a sticky lifter in my bosses Subaru.

You can also use it in gas. I noticed after using it that I got about 30 - 40 more miles out of my tank. However, the tank that I used it in got worse mileage. It was only after I filled up again that I got better mileage.

Dead on with the Lucas injector cleaner and upper head lubricant....that stuff definately puts your truck back up to snuff.

As for the EGR...i really don't know how the hell it can be cleaned like Mr. P said his was toast so cleaning is cool then, but if it is not toast i haven't the slightest idea what your shop could have been cleaning it with. Every haynes manual tells you not to get anything in or on that diaphgram because it will most likely destroy it.

Who knows though the oil industry had us thinking all those years that 3000 was some magical number :crazy:

Some carb cleaners or other solvents can be very damaging to rubber. But if you use care to not get any on the rubber diaphragm, EGR valves can be successfully cleaned up.

Since some "professionals" are actually knuckle dragging morons diguised in pretty shirts fully incapable of understanding what "keep solvent off rubber diaphragm" means, the manufacturers kinda have to advise against cleaning them.

SC88 - what is your fuel economy like? If low, that combined with the carbon in EGR could be indicating something is out of whack causing it to run rich.

some "professionals" are actually knuckle dragging morons diguised in pretty shirts

NO !! You think so ?? :P

If low, that combined with the carbon in EGR could be indicating something is out of whack causing it to run rich.

Yep, thats what I suspected, hence starting with injector cleaner, etc...

B

My MPG for the past couple of fills has been around 14-15. This is down from the 16-17 I was getting a couple of months ago but I attribute that to the fact I'm no longer driving on the freeway.

The mechanic said he did get a leaky injector code, but I didn't get it when I pulled codes, perhaps that's the source of the problem? When they first fixed the EGR they did replace a couple of valves but I'm pretty sure they used OEM. The mechanic also suggested an oil treatment to clean up carbon. And he showed me some of the carbon he pulled from one of the valves, and it was a good sized amount. If it changes anything the clog was on the intake side of the egr.

Oh yeah and I'm running Castrol High Mileage 10w 40, and temperatures have been between 75-100F. The engine doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil (seriously the oil level has not changed not even a little!)

Edited by SC88Pathy

Ok, well thats probably the oil for you although trying a 20-50 couldn't hurt as long as it doesn't get too cold. Carbon on the valves generally indicates running too rich or burning oil. As you said, no oil consumption so lets look at running rich. Cant hurt to flush the engine with a detergent. There are many 'cleaners' out there and I won't comment on which to use. I do know some mechanics who recommend a quart of AT fluid type F for a few hundred miles, then change the oil again to clean the engine case. EGR valve clogged on the intake side of the EGR... I suspect that you mean from the exhaust... That would indicate running rich somehow. That would be sensor/injector/ecu related. Check all sensor inline plugs that you can, cleaning them when possible. Run some injector cleaner, I prefer Redline, some swear by seafoam. How old is your O2 sensor ? Do you have smog checks there ? Do you have any exhaust manifold leaks ?

B

It's Cali so yea lots of SMOG checks passed no problem last time, but that was a year or two ago. No clue as to how old the O2 sensor is. I'm pretty sure the manifolds aren't leaking. There is a little ticking noise right on start up but it lasts less then a second and isn't very loud. I'll definatly try the injector cleaner sometime soon.