Tips for passing emissions?

Harbinger

Yup, the TBI versions are rather iffy on passing smog... Everything needs to be working pretty well for high mileage rigs to pass. Other things that haven't been mentioned but must be working properly are the catalytic converter and the auxiliary air injection doohabobber (the thing behind the drivers side headlight).

Cleaning the IAC will help the idle sniffer test. Also, turn up the idle to about 950 rpm... Mine will not pass at 800 rpm, but passes easily at 950. Yeah, the technician is supposed to do the test at 800, but most are too lazy to turn it down if only a scosche too high...

And as others said, there is a good side to all this - once everything is working right, your fuel economy WILL improve.

I do agree with the statement of a higher idle. HOWEVER, i remember the last time i got my pathy emissions tested it almost didn't pass because my idle was at like 810. The guy made a comment about it and told me bla bla bla bla bla about the idle. They even put a tac on the hood to check it. (washington state pierce county). it turned out ok, cause at that time.. several years ago.. and 225k on the motor.. she passed with flying colors. and i'm horibble about maintanance.

I'm not sure what that smog tech's problem was 87... The idle spec is 850 +/-50 for MT and 650 +/-50 in D for AT... I'd say 810 is just fine ! But yes, timing and idle RPM is part of the smog inspection in Cali at least.

B

sssh my old boss would buy a quart of a nasty chemical called M.E.K

methyl ethel keytone. he had a real p.o.s van that would never pass but he would empty this stuff into his tank run it hard for twenty minutes then take it straight to test. and i swear he passed every time. i would definetely fill up afterwards as m.e.k is really hot potent stuff probably eat up some seals. good luck :lol: :contract: