possible problems?

unccpathfinder

this weekend im going to try and tackle changing my rotors, front wheel bearings, and convert over to manual locking hubs...i was wondering any common problems folks run into when doing this...also on the outter bearings do i need the racers or will the old 1's be ok to use b/c the guy at napa said they were built into the spindle and i shouldnt need to chagne them cuze i got home and realized that 1 of the racers wasnt on the bearing...

how difficult is getting the preloading to work out on the bearings b/c the book makes it seem like its gonna be a pain...

do i need a slide happem to pull the hub or rotors b/c the book doesnt seem to mention anything about it?]

(book being factory service manual)

The old races should be OK to re-use if they look decent. Preloading the bearings is easy. Follow the directions in your book. You DO have a bearing locknut socket to use to set that, right? No, you don't need a slide hammer. The rotors should pull off after the bearings are out and then unbolt from the hub.

You DO have a bearing locknut socket to use to set that, right?

well not exactly yet...was planning on making 1 b/c advance didnt have 1 and napa wanted like $35 for it...but i'll prob end up going to get it it'd prob make life a lot simpler

ok i think the outter bearings are wrong...or maybe they're not since this is my 1st time doing wheel bearings...

problem is the outter bearing doesnt slide all the way onto the spindle...it stops on the threaded part for the locknut...i cant even get the locknut to catch a thread to tighten it down thinking that it needed to be pressed on but it came off fairly easily so i think that the bearings have the wrong inner diameter.... :shrug:

Check to see if there is a ding anywhere on the spindle where the ID bearing race binds. It's a tight fit so it doesn't take much... You may have to do some filing if you find one. Obviously, make sure there is no dirt or grit. Sometimes lightly greasing the bearing race helps. DONT FORCE IT ON ! Measuring the ID's is a good idea, but most people dont have tools for that. Hope this helps Bud !

B

bad cross reference...old were still good...repacked and installed...forgot about the damn stud problem with warns so i popped a stud and it being the 3 day weekend every1 is closing early or not open so i just put them snug till i can get new bolts...

1 last question the snap ring and retainin ring dont have to be reinstalled correct? b/c if i install it it keeps the cv locked in and wont go to be free...from what i see nothing can hurt it by not having a retaining clip or bolt (cv's arent threaded for a retaining bolt) the instructions were kinda confusing on if that was just for toyotas and geo's or what so they work how they are but just was curious...