Cold Air Intake System

97SE

I'm sure this has been hashed out but trying to weed through all the searches made my eyes hurt. Short and sweet:

Does anyone make a cold air intake system for a 97 Pathfinder? Not one that needs to be modified, not a K&N drop-in, but a complete intake system with MAF connections, spacers, shield, etc?

I've tried Stillen, weapon-R, AEM, and K&N.

TIA,

Stephen

Edited by 97SE

None of the intakes above are true CAI. They still draw hot air from the engine compartment. I don't know of any pre-made complete CAI solutions for the 3.3L Pathfinder. Nissan kept changing the vacuum line layouts (near the intake housing) on the 96-99 models, making it hard for aftermarket companies to standardize on a common configuration. To get a quasi-CAI, many people who've installed aftermarket open-element intakes (such as those linked to above) have fabbed their own heat shields and ram-air ducts by modifying the bumper opening under the turn signal or done something similarly creative.

It connects directly to the MAF.

XPLORx4 is correct. There isn't a REAL CAI that I know of, unless you make your own snorkel.

Edited by wheel366

It connects directly to the MAF. 

XPLORx4 is correct.  There isn't a REAL CAI that I know of, unless you make your own snorkel.

Ahh, I see that now. Anybody here using a Pop-charger? Comments? Any realized gains?

Edited by 97SE

Ahh, I see that now. Anybody here using a Pop-charger? Comments? Any realized gains?

I've been running the JWT pop charger for about 5 years, and it's a definite improvement over the stock intake (even when drawing hot air!) and you'll get even more out of it if the exhaust is also opened up.

I've been running the JWT pop charger for about 5 years, and it's a definite improvement over the stock intake (even when drawing hot air!) and you'll get even more out of it if the exhaust is also opened up.

Do you think your MPG improved any? Throttle response is better? I hope so, man these 3.3L struggle for power. Low range torque is OK but throttle response is for the birds.

MPG probably went down, since my foot got heavier! :) Power went up, too.

You can experiment by unlatching the clips on the stock air box and keeping the box ajar (to simulate how a POP charger might perform) while ensuring the filter stays on the top half of the box. Drive a short loop around town to see if you feel a difference. In my experience, it was noticeable. However, I had been using a K&N panel filter and already had a performance exhaust when I did this, so the gains I felt might be more than if I had a paper filter and the stock exhaust.

You could also remove the air filter completely and keep the intake box ajar just for this short test, but make sure there's no dust, bugs, sand, or other debris near the intake while you're driving.

I will promise you that if you get that propeller fan off and put that electric fan on you will not be unhappy with your 3.3 anymore!!!

I have modified exhaust (after the cats enlarged to 2.5" and a flowmaster 50 series muffler and no after muffler), Fram drop-in oil/cotton, CAI mod (below turn light), and this fan. So far that fan has made the most serious improvement in the vehicle!!! Incidentally, the tranny cooler seems to make your transmission come back to life also, especially with new fluid and diff fluid changes.

I can hardly tame myself with her now. the exhaust combined with the new found ummph is just sweet...my only sour spot is that i wish it felt this way before i did this too her so that i would feel more in pace with today's SUV power bands.

Junkyard E-Fan