Engine Installation

CDN_Pathy

I am in the middle of replacing my engine and I am having big trouble bolting the new motor up to my auto trans. I can get it about a half inch away from the tranny but it will not go any further. I have tried bring it together with the bolts but it jams up the crank when you do that. I have also tried intall with the torque converter first on the tranny and also with it first on the motor. Any suggestions???? I am going nuts here :help:

Edited by CDN_Pathy

Yes the engine I got is from a manual, please explain what the spigot bush is??

Right at the back of the engine where the "fly wheel" (manual) or "ring gear" (auto) bolts to is the crank. There is a hole that your shaft from your box goes into. Inside that hole you should have a brass bush (spigot bush). There are a few ways of removing it. One is to use a slide hammer to remove it. Two, you can use a dowl to force it out using grease as the medium. Or, three (not recomened) you can try to smash it out with a hammer and a screw driver. Remember, autos do not require a spigot bush.

It is talked about here and there should be something on the issue in your repair manual. http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=6312

Ahh, the down under guy means the 'pilot bushing'... Funny, 'spigot' means tap or valve, etc so I have no idea how that pertains, but don't blame the guy, he is looking at everything up side down... :D

B

Ahh, the down under guy means the 'pilot bushing'... Funny, 'spigot' means tap or valve, etc so I have no idea how that pertains, but don't blame the guy, he is looking at everything up side down...  :D

B

Your a sick man B. :D

Spigot bush is a universal term is it not?

Spigot (say spigget) noun

a device for stopping the hole in a barrel, etc

I too don't quite know how they got the name?

AHHHHH pilot bushing, now I understand. Well I will have to look into that tomarrow night. It is funny how you can waste an entire evening over somethign so simple :wacko:

Whats even funnier is trying to remove a spigot bush from a donk that had an auto behind it. I did it once in the semi dark. I tried to get it out for about 5 minutes before I remembered that autos don't have them. -study-

Your a sick man B. 

Spigot bush is a universal term is it not?

I have definitely been told that before, but luckily it wasn't by a guy in a white coat while I was restrained. I have never heard of the term spigot bushing before... :shrug:

Don't feel bad CDN_Pathy... I have done much worse !!

Whats even funnier is trying to remove a spigot bush from a donk that had an auto behind it. I did it once in the semi dark. I tried to get it out for about 5 minutes before I remembered that autos don't have them.

LMAO V6 !! I can completely understand how that would happen, and only imagine the look on your face when you realized it !! :D

B

Whats even funnier is trying to remove a spigot bush from a donk that had an auto behind it. I did it once in the semi dark. I tried to get it out for about 5 minutes before I remembered that autos don't have them. -study-

:laugh: LOL Times like those although funny now... are really frustrating at the time :furious: :D

LOL V6, good point !! Although you studying "The rear end of the Holden" has me worried... :D

Hey CDN_Pathy... if the PILOT BUSHING gives you problems, mws posted a neat trick here for removing it with grease and a dowel of the right size... Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5361

B

LOL V6, good point !! Although you studying "The rear end of the Holden" has me worried...  :D

Hey CDN_Pathy... if the PILOT BUSHING gives you problems, mws posted a neat trick here for removing it with grease and a dowel of the right size... Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5361

B

I couldn't see it??

mws, there was a specific request for your grease/piston blind hole bushing removal method writeup. Feel free to cut and paste or elaborate if you wish.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Cripes !! I thought it was in there... Thanks for catching that V6 !! I hate misdirecting; thats one of the probs with being a mod/trying to help, you can't remember where everything is all the time. :blink:

Here is the context...

Who wants to know the secret to removing pilot bearings? Who? Who?

OK - here it is:

- Pack some grease into the bearing - fill up any cavity behind the bearing and about half way to the surface of the bearing.

- Find or make something that fits snugly within the pilot bearing. Reversed socket with an extension in it to seal the hole, old piece of transmission shaft, wooden dowel, plastic rod turned to the right diameter, whatever.

- Slide the something into the bearing, and give it a few good raps with a hammer. The something will press into the the grease and pressurize it. Some neat physics occurs, and the grease will push the bearing out! Of course, if the something is too small, you just made a mess....

and snosnk mentions using a tap of the right size (he says 3/4" so 19mm) to grab it and pull it out, both excellent methods... Measure the id of the bushing for the right tap size obviously if you go that route... here is the link to the thread.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5207&hl=dowel

Sorry about the confusion !!

B

Well.............The pilot bushing was the problem, but during the attempt to install the engine before I knew this it appears that I somehow managed to crack the input shaft on the transmission :furious:

Sooo Now that I need a tranny as well I have decided to sell the good motor I just bought and part out the rest. The body and frame is not the best and it is time to put this old truck to rest.

If anybody is interested I have a good motor and lots of parts up for grabs and I will accept any reasonable offers,if it sits here more than 2 or 3 weeks I am just going to have it towed to the junkyard :sniff:

Cracked the input shaft? Ouch. Just my 2 cents, but it seems that bangin a motor onto it with a soft bronze bushing in the way shouldn't be enough to crack it, or even forcing one on with the bolts. I would figure the bolts would strip out of the aluminum block before a steel input shaft would crack. Is it possible that it was already there? Just seems to me a tough peice of metal to just crack, but then again, and engine on a cherry picker can get some pretty good force behind it.

M.M.

I suppose you don't want to open the tranny and replace the input shaft, eh ? Don't want to get into that can of worms ? I have to agree with MM that it seems odd that installation difficulties would crack the shaft... :shrug:

I'd want a few parts if you were closer... GL Bud, sorry about that.

B

Guest dberdusco

very simple fix there of the cracked input shaft.

the input shaft itself slides out of the tranny. and can be replaced

with a different one. im a tranny mechanic so i know these trannies inside and out. send some pics and i can explain the process

:beer:

dberdusco is so correct. The input shaft in an auto just slides in. All you need is a donor shaft. Now comes the question why did it crack. My guess would be it cracked during removal not during installation. Sometimes if you don't get everything just right there is up and down stress on the input shaft. You have to remember that there is a lot of weight on that input shaft with the converter hanging there.

Hey dberdusco I would like you comment on this. I do trannys but not for a living.