cd changer went to a better place...

marc_andrew

Hi all, anyone have issues with their CD changer dying on them? in my 01 SE, it justs goes "click, click, click" then stops and displays "WAIT". just once it said "ERR 2" but i havent seen that message again. maybe a TSB or recall notice? I really dont want to go buy another.

Lots of posts about that here. Mine does it (an 02 with 80,000 km). Delear/Nissan knows of the problem and are willing to sell me a new Clarion unit that is a direct replacment for about $220 CDN plus install (and they want the old one back). Not sure if I want to go there or not yet.

My Bose CD player did the same thing. I didn't want to pay big $$$ for a new system so I mailed it of to Clarion plus $110 check and 3 weeks later I had it back and fixed. They said the cause might have been the paper cd covers I put on my burned CD's. I've had it about 3 months now after it was fixed and no problems.

Junk that piece of crap clarion head unit and go with a aftermarket. I installed a new Kenwood that plays all types of cd's & mp3's and it's Sirius ready. It sounds better than the original! Good Luck! :aok:

I work in the gaming industry, I used to work for a company that had coin operated jukebox like you see in bars. The most common problem I have encountered in fixing the CD players in them when they started skipping and then just capped out, was dirty laser reader. I have also fixed some old CD players by doing the same thing. It's a quick try, and it could save you from buying a new deck.

Use a Q-tip. Wet it with water and dish soap (one drop in a cup of water). Dish soap is mild enough not to scuff the optics, but will remove grease, smoke, etc extremly well. Do not use alcohol however because alcohol over time will cloud optics. Do not rub the optic to hard and wipe it dry with a secound dry Q-tip.

If you can see the shaft that the optic head slides on and you can get a bit of white lithium grease on it this might also help. (be very careful not to put grease any where else and don't put to much). I find a tooth pick works for this.

I'm not saying this will work, but short of giving you an electronics trouble shooting course, this is the best I can help you to try to fix your CD player. :)

Denis

Thanks Denisb P... , however the unit in question is a 6 cd changer (very small slot that feeds the cassette), have to take the thing out and apart to get to the laser :furious: . May try that if worst comes to worst.

well, after much research, i decided not to have my changer fixed. it would cost about $200 and often the problem comes back from what i read online. instead, out of curiosity, i plugged my wife's Rio mp3 player into the cassette player with one of those tape adaptors, and it sounded pretty darn good. so i went down to the hobby shop and picked up some 1/8" thick Styrene, glue, and some sticky-back black felt and made a box to replace the CD changer. it fits pretty well and is a great place to hold an external mp3 or cd player.

PIC00016.JPG

Looks good :aok:

And if your not dependant on having CD's spread all over the cabin, the MP3 Player will work out great.

Side bonus may be (as long as you toss the MP3 Player in the glove box, to fool them) is when people look in for something to steal, they will see no CD's and only a tape deck... basically telling them to "I’m a cheap bastage, nothing to steal here” ;):D