Off-Road Trails

Paisita18

New Pathfinder owner and looking to get into off-roading. But im having a tough time finding off-road trails in New England, any suggestions would be apreciated.

By the way my pathy is all stock but will probably improve in the future

Since you're in New England, you may want to check out the Northeast Import Off Road Association. We're having a major event October 6-9 at Rausch Creek in Joliet, PA.

Check out our website at http://www.niora4x4club.com :aok:

As far as trails go, I much prefer to wheel in parks...you don't have to worry about whether what you're driving on is legal or not. Some of the fines they assess for that are pretty steep.

Edit: I can't even spell my own clubs name.... :oops: :crazy:

Edited by vengeful

You have a point when you say that i shouldn't just use any trail (last thing i want are trespassing problems) but as much as i search on the internet i can't find any parks or recreation areas that support 4wheeling. I don't know I might be looking in the wrong place.

Im looking for anyone with any experience around this area for some advice and I actually live in massachusets but could travel to either maine, NH, or VT.

appreciate some help.. :shrug:

i don't think there is anything organised per se.. the whites are not accessible to my knowledge.. Greens are potentially better but i have no specific info.. look into those states ORV/OHV trails or info.. may wanna ask the snowmobile folks but i bet they don't share.. I'd say take a trip to Brattleboro and then get off the beaten path.. VT DeLorme Gazeteer maybe a good thing to have.

ME, up north is EMPTY. may have to contact the lumber companies and to get access to their tracks.. watch out for the log trucks!!!! :eek:

OHV Parks in the Northeast:

Pine Barrens in NJ. - New, small, not many people go there, kinda sucks.

Paragon Adventure Park in Hazleton, PA - HUGE, over 150 miles of trails - kicks ass, tons of people!

Rausch Creek OffRoad Park in Joliet, PA - Smaller than PAP, but still quite large, over 2,000 acres. Fairly new, so not too much traffic.

There is nothing to my knowledge in VT, NH, or ME...but there are tons of Forrest Roads that allow OHV access. Just be sure to make sure you're on one of them.

NIORA is having our first annual Autumn Run October 6-9 at Rausch Creek. We'll be camping in the park (free). Daily admission to wheel at the park is $25, I believe. We already have several top tier sponsors for it, and there will be a nice raffle/giveaway, as well as awards for several categories for the weekend. If your interested, shoot me a PM here, or come on over to our website at http://www.niora4x4club.com :aok:

You need to check in with a local 4x4 club (assuming one exists) to see if they have regular places to go. And yes, you do need to be aware of public/private land, and the sub-regulations within those land parcels.

As mxextreme said, Northern Maine is empty, and there is a lot of exploring to be done. This is where I live. But even on paper company land, not all areas are open to wheeling. The other thing about wheeling in EMPTY places is you are very much on your own. I have to chainsaw my way through some routes, only to find a bridge is out with no way to wheel across the gap. Most of our trails/roads are not mapped, and I assume I will be lost for some time (and I'm a mapmaker by trade). That is part of the adventure up here. We don't have cell coverage, and you can't count on anyone being within CB range, and the trails turn to hostile rock-infested chutes or bottomless bogs very quickly. There is no such thing as AAA. So up here, we always have to think about staying in the woods for a few days, or being prepared to hike out, so every wheeling trip is also set up like a camping trip just in case. Especially since I do most of my trips solo.

The huge advantage to parks is help is always at hand, and you won't get lost - pretty much like skiing in-bounds vs out of bounds.

m.

New Pathfinder owner and looking to get into off-roading. But im having a tough time finding off-road trails in New England, any suggestions would be apreciated.

I'm originally from Weymouth (South Shore) and back in the day (Before I got into wheeling) a friend of mine used to go to Plymouth somewhere near Miles Standish area. I guess there are some sand dunes....I hear you can do some at the Cape too.

I'll e-mail my friend and pick his brain....i've llived in SoCal for 17 years so i'm alittle forgetful about stuf back their.

I'm originally from Weymouth (South Shore) and back in the day (Before I got into wheeling) a friend of mine used to go to Plymouth somewhere near Miles Standish area. I guess there are some sand dunes....I hear you can do some at the Cape too.

I'll e-mail my friend and pick his brain....i've llived in SoCal for 17 years so i'm alittle forgetful about stuf back their.

I would really apreciate thats. Thanks for the help

I currently live in Michigan but grew up in Connecticut and New Hampshire. The only wheeling you can do on the Cape is for fishing. Don't even think of going into the dunes or racing about on the beach.. It's strictly over sand travel to get to a spot and park.. Not too exciting unless you're looking for a piece of deserted beach. I have had many a good trip on land in Northern New Hampshire (Pittsburg) and Maine (just about anywhere in the north country. and a little Down East) all of that was on paper company land (Champion at the time) They were pretty accomdating when I was last up that way but who knows what the lawyers have ased them to change. As I remember it there were trails arouns Stowe and Woodford VT as well. you may want to check with the town manager over there. Good luck