How-To Install a Grant Steering Wheel

Slick

Thanks for the great write up and pics! My '94 doesn't have airbags in it either, as I think it wasn't "mandatory" until '96 that all cars had at least a driver's side airbag. But yeah, my steering wheel, after 150k miles, has the little worn off chunks of plastic/rubber around the ring, so I think a nice new aftermarket wheel may be in order.

Great Write Up!!!! :clap:

Dave

• 9 months later...
Guest SuperSon

I never did get used to the factory skinny steering wheels so I replaced mine a month after I bought my pathy in 2003 :D

post-28-1161920413.jpg

Edited by SuperSon

• 1 year later...

Anybody else have problems with the horn contact ring (the copper surface on the fiberglass plate) wearing through on the Grant adapter? Mine did in less than 10K miles. Kinda dissapointing. I will be contacting Grant to see about replacement.

hmm. i've done almost 30k with my grant wheel and have had no issues....... and my wheel was off one of Dave's chevy's.. so it was used when i installed it on mini.....

Received a VERY prompt response from the director of technical sales at Grant and we had a very good discussion about it.

Bottom line, we agree the likely root cause is that the pin in the steering column that wipes on the copper ring is worn (over 220K miles) down enough to have a very sharp corner and it is scraping the grease off and then skiving the copper off - hence the abnormally fast wear.

I'm going to take a file or sandpaper and "break" the corners to see if it works. These pins are usually a bullet nose shape when new, so I think returning it back to this shape will make a huge difference.

• 3 years later...

I've never used a steering wheel puller on any Nissan I've ever owned, I do it the way suggested, loosen the nut (leaving it on of course), grab each side of the wheel, while puling towards you wiggle it a little pops right off. The only car I removed the steering wheel and had to use a puller was my friends Buick Regal, that sucka was on there good !! My 94 doesn't have an airbag either.