PIAA Horn install!

OR99.5Speed

Well, i bought the PIAA Sport Horn set from AC a week ago and it arrived in the mail. So I read the PIAA instructions on replacing my stock horns, and it seemed very easy... just cut a connector off of the factory wiring, and crimp a new 1/4" female blade connector and thats about it. I cut the wiring at the old factory connector, and find out that since the PIAA horns are so much larger than the factory horns, the wiring won't reach.

To add insult to injury, the rubber insulator on the factory wiring came off in my hands, leaving a bare metal wiring hanging just below the radiator core support... Is this a hazard? Do i need to cover the wire or tape off the metal?

I am hoping that Circuit City or another car audio place will install it, but one audio place said that these installs are $75- $125 per install, maybe more with this crap gone wrong. And everything said that this was easy!

What do I do? What precautions do I need to take with that bare metal wire touching painted metal? Thanks!

Edited by 88pathoffroad

Yes, you need to tape up or insulate the bare wiring before it shorts out. All you need is some more wire and a few crimp connectors. Go to the auto parts store, spend $4.99 for crimpers, $2.99 for wire, and another $1.99 for some butt connectors. Extend your short wires and you're done.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I finally finished the install! It was worth it, all I needed were some connectors, a few feet of 16 gauge wire and a crimper, plus copious amounts of electrical tape. 20 minutes total for the two horns, and that includes all of the messing around.

The sound of the new horns is a honk instead of a beep. There are a 400HZ and a 500HZ horn with the package. The sound is actually very close to the horn of my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since I have the cross-hatch grille the horns look cool and are quite visible from the front. They don't run the battery down, so I can have then go off when the car is locked remotely.

For only $50 and, in my eyes, a necessary safety feature, it was money well spent. And to think the car stereo place wanted $100 just labor to do the job! Order the PIAA Sports Horns from AC now!

Edited by OR99.5Speed

ac isnt that bad. their selection at least is all on one page. it's kinda nice for newbies to see what is available for their trucks all on one site, ya know? :D

Thats why you're still a newbie...because you say AC isn't that bad. ;)