Check engine light

Dreadeyed

EVAP. SYSTEM

The check engine light of my pathy is still showing although smoke test has been performing and I'm getting annoying by it. I usually take out the possitive and negative poles of the battery for at least 2 to 3 minutes, and then put them back on. By doing this, the check light doesn’t show for at least 3 to 4 weeks sometimes. It will come on mostly when I hit a pothole or unexpectedly. I was shocked to see the amount of pellets charcoal that come out the canister purge control valve when I pull out the rubber tubes. Few months ago, I had pull out the canister but no charcoal was in it. I 'd like to know where those charcoals come from and also what's needed to replace. I just don't want matters to get worst on me. I take all out and then put the canister back the same way. Are those pellets charcoal present a great danger to my pathy as far as performance? Since the purge canister is way in the back and it's the one that contains charcoals is there a possibility that the purge volume control vale can be the cause. And how can I tell if it bad or good?. I had code 'P1447' showing on the computer. Does it ring the bell to anyone? All info gathers will be gladly appreciated.

The EVAP canister normally contains the charcoal. At some point the charcoal, which is supposed to be a brick, disintegrates into granules that can get sucked through the EVAP lines. 3 years ago I had the same problem. The charcoal granules got sucked through the entire EVAP purge lines from the rear of the truck to the EVAP purge volume control valve. In addition to replacing the EVAP canister and the EVAP vent control valve attached to it, I had to disassemble and clean all of the EVAP system valves, and blow compressed air through all of the hoses/lines until everything was clear. Every place the hard (metal) lines were connected with a rubber hose, I had to remove the rubber hose and blast air through. It made quite a mess on my garage floor.

Fortunately, the granules are blocked from entering the intake manifold by the EVAP purge volume control valve just below the red circle in the photo below.

not_pcv.jpg

If you continue to ignore this problem, what will happen is that built-up pressure inside your fuel tank cannot be vented through the EVAP system, and on hot days with a full tank of gas, the pressure will force the fuel out through the filler neck, which not only wastes gas and pollutes the environment, it makes your truck very prone to catching on fire!

Edited by XPLORx4

Disconnecting the battery doesn't mean the error has gone away for those 3-4 weeks, its just taken that long for the EVAP monitor to hit the right drive cycles to test the system and get the error. If your canister is leaking charcoal then you need to replace the canister and vent control valve at a minimum, and blow out all the EVAP lines. You'll probably also need to clean charcoal out of other EVAP parts.

Weird, I was logging on to talk about the same type of problem.

I have a 2000 Pathy, and the codes come back pointing at the evap canister cellanoid. I got P0440, evap small leak, and P1448, evap canester vent cellanoid.

My light has been on for awhile, I didnt think it was a big deal. I hope my Pathy doesn't catch on fire!

I have a 2000 Pathy, and the codes come back pointing at the evap canister cellanoid. I got P0440, evap small leak, and P1448, evap canester vent cellanoid.

My light has been on for awhile, I didnt think it was a big deal. I hope my Pathy doesn't catch on fire!

Hey BigBikeMike, I just got those same #'s pulled about 2 weeks ago. Usually for me it just turns off after a few days. :shrug:

I have a 2000 Pathy, and the codes come back pointing at the evap canister cellanoid.  I got P0440, evap small leak, and P1448, evap canester vent cellanoid. 

My light has been on for awhile, I didnt think it was a big deal.  I hope my Pathy doesn't catch on fire!

Hey BigBikeMike, I just got those same #'s pulled about 2 weeks ago. Usually for me it just turns off after a few days. :shrug:

mines been on for like 2 mos