Body Lift.. Anything to watch out for ?

EvilLex03

I got my 2" body lift today, and im going to put it in on friday. Just wondering if there is anything I sould be watching out for ? and tips to make it go better ? I have never done a body lift before, but it does not look that hard. And info would be nice.. Thanks.

There are several threads about that here. Use the search function and/or look in the garage. Yes, there are a few tricks, do's, dont's, etc. Too much to relist, and I haven;t done it myself. Probably #1 is spray the body bolts down well and several times with a penetrant... Last big thread on it was by Mr Pickles I believe...

B

First off, I'd suggest you go to a spray-it-yourself car wash and spray the entire underside of your truck. Next, ditto the spray down with some lube, PB or similar of all body mount bolts. Start hitting bolts/nuts as early as possible, and do it a few times if you can. Also....

You can simply drill through the plastic to re-install the plastic cover for the gas lines in the passenger side rear fender. You don't have to toss it, just line it up and go to town. Common sense here. However, this may not even come into play with a 2" lift.

The steering shaft may try to be a PITA to extend. Don't let it. 88 put up a great write-up. Basically, remove the shaft if it refuses to extend. I had to unbolt it from the top near the firewall, then pound in that direction at the steering box. Put the large (upper) end of the shaft in a vice, tightly clamp on a pair of old Vice Grips to the other half of the shaft, then pound away on the grips with a mallett until it extends far enough. Basically, this part of the install involves a BFA (Big$#&%inHammer). Don't be afraid to use it.

The bumper solution in the PA kit is a P.O.S. Have a buddy here if at all possible, if anything to hand you a beer. Mine sucked to line up especially alone in the dark with a flashlight propped against my shoulder in February (I kid you not), but again yours may be different at 2". Its was a simple 1/2" clearance or so against the steering box that doomed me, so who knows.

Other than that, check, double check, triple check, and take your time. It is pretty straight forward, I just came into some issues due to rust and age. But it all went well, I could have done it in 1 weekend alone (as I did it) or a long day with a buddy. Good luck, and have beer on-hand! P...