Is it worth to do.......?

findmypath

I just took my Nissan in for some warranty work and I got bombarded with offers from the dealer to do the 15000 miles scheduled service and blah bla blah. They wanted like $300 for the service.

My question is how many of you, Pathfinder owners, actually do the recommended interval maintanance, and---or how many do only the basic maintenance like oil, trans, ect without doing the whole dealer package. I realize thats where the dealer makes his money but are those intervals really necessary to follow them??

I'M INTERESTED IN YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!!

thanks

03 LE with 24,000 miles

I'm not sure whats in the 'dealer package' but yes, it's a good idea to change all fluids as recommended and stay on top of the timing belt and tire rotation, etc... I prefer having a reliable truck...

B

T-Belt, belts and tensioner at 60k, water pump, t-belt, belts and tensioner at 120K (missed the darn t-stat though). For some reason when these items fail it's never in my driveway. Hence I change them before they break or at least that's my goal. Fluids at recommended intervals, tire rotation every other oil change. K&N service as necessary for driving conditions, plugs 30 or 40ish. I'm a tight arse who just barely know which end of the hammer to hold on to when swinging. I have a bro that is an ace mechanic if I get in too deep. B) I'm with B on the reliability thing. I hate mechanical suprises.

I try to follow the Nissan Maintence schedule, as I want my pathy for a long time to come... I usually go thru the list, do what I can on my own, and then take it to the dealer for the crappy jobs... :)

T-Belt, belts and tensioner at 60k, water pump, t-belt, belts and tensioner at 120K (missed the darn t-stat though). For some reason when these items fail it's never in my driveway. Hence I change them before they break or at least that's my goal. Fluids at recommended intervals, tire rotation every other oil change. K&N service as necessary for driving conditions, plugs 30 or 40ish. I'm a tight arse who just barely know which end of the hammer to hold on to when swinging. I have a bro that is an ace mechanic if I get in too deep. B) I'm with B on the reliability thing. I hate mechanical suprises.

my 94 calls for T-belt change at 110k mi... the 89 that i had called for 60k intervals but after doing the change 2x (both times the belts looked almost brand new) and knowing how engineers work i'd feel comfortable with 100k on one of those.. the only ones i have heard breaking were all near or above 200k... which is exactly what i figured the engineers came up with..

do the O2 sensor when recommended.. you get crappy mpg if you don't. shop around for those.. i paid somewhere around $40 (stock plug too.) cheap.

bearings, hub locks, brakes, hoses ,belts, and all the fluids need attention..

if you have AT then look into external cooler mod. search the garage and stickies.

in one word YES.

I change my oil, oil filter every 3,000 miles, spark plugs every third oil change (when I can), but, being as I have only had my Pathy for almost 2 yrs, and put 20,000 miles on her... I pulled the motor in feb this yr and did the h2o pump, timing belt, t'stat, plugs, fuel filter (last week), tires, and a few other things... so now I know what lasts how long and how many miles... routine maintenance is a must.. but if you don't want to get ripped off... try to do most of the work yourself...

I always check the brakes when I rotate or am changing sets of tires...