Check this out.

TrailChaser

I wish. Welcome to Cali..... mod the cams.. no pass smog....no pass smog.... no drive-a-da Pathy..... when are we movin to Oregon...... **sighs**

Hmm, link no worky for me.... As Slick said, it's not an option for all... :(

Nice to know that if you were redoing a WD21 motor you could cam, port and polish, headers, good exhaust w/hi flow cat, hotter ignition and cold air intake it and easily wind up with 200+ HP. Thats plenty in my book, even with bigger tires. Then there is the ECU mod for some extra whammy and you could happily get 10 MPG !!! :blink:

B

Thanks for the second link Trailchaser ! Hmm, 4 MPG increase huh ? Interesting and tempting, but still not possible for me.

Edited by Precise1

For some strange reason I can't seem to link to that site...

Click the "homepage" link in the window that pops up, then click Pathfinder on the list of vehicals on the menu at the left side of the page...

Could someone else try to get the links working, and please tell me what's up with'em.... I've never had this problem with links before...

I had no probs with your second link (in the first post) and instructions.... As for link trouble shooting, well, I'm lame at it. For me it either works or it doesn't, but yours did... :aok:

B

I have the Jim Wolf S1 cams. The lift is higher that the Nissan motorsports but the degree of duration isn't as high.

Nissan Motorsports .430"/264

Jim Wolf S1 .440"/260

Jim Wolf S2 .473"/266

They told me at Jim Wolf that I would not pass emissions with the S2, but they have had people with the S1's pass.

They also said that they have had the V6 Pathys gain up to 20HP with the pop charger and ECU upgrade. I also have the pop charger.

The other upgrade I am having done is the Thorley Ceramic coated headers. So, I'm hopefully looking at somewhere around 15 - 20 HP for the cams, 2-3 for the pop charger, not sure about the headers and not sure what the Borla cat back gave me. Maybe 180 - 190???? I wish I knew about the porting and polishing cause I would have had that done since I just bought new heads. I think next year I will get a high flow cat and the Jim Wolf ECU Upgrade plus the calmini steering upgrade.

I don't want to get ahead of myself since I don't even have my truck at the moment.

Edited by wheel366

Damn Bud, I'm jealous !! You better get it all together and have a dyno test; maybe we collect for it ? You REALLY should do the port & polish if you can since you have done all other stuff... It will only do good. If you are not driving it, what is the stumbling block ??

B

I kinda knew, but I guess it always seemed like something over the top. About like adding a supercharger... Then I read that artical and they made it seem like it's no big deal, but now I'm thinking it's a little over the top again because of the $$$ involved... I never really had much to complain about in the power department. If I could spin the tires on pavement I would, but since I can't I'm thankful for the couple extra thousand miles I'll get out of'em.

My problem is that the heads, cams and part of the headers are already in. I'll just have to deal with it the way it is.

If when I get it back and he screwed it up, then I'll have it done since it all would have to come back apart anyways.

When the MTVV2 is done, pumping up the Pathy a little bit is next.

Probably limit it to cleaning up the intake manifold and heads, and then Thorley headers and the S1 cams.

(MTTV2 = Monster Tow Van Version 2)

I have a leaking exhaust manifold, so I "need" to do the headers as a true solution. Drilling the studs out in the truck is a PITA, so why not just pop the heads out to make it easier? And as long as they're out, might as well whip out the die grinder, right? And if we're in that far, why leave the stock cams in? The S1 is a rather mild cam, and I would be surprised if it would cause the vehicle to fail the tailpipe test. And even if they did, swapping cams is not really that difficult a project on these engines. Better part of two days every two years to provide 700+ days of better performance and mpg? Eh, I could live with that.

Now you understand why I have very few "little" projects!

FYI, you guys had problems with those links because this board (npora.ipbhost.com) automatically always makes the word "Pathfinder" a proper noun. Therefore, links that have Pathfinder spelled with all lowercase characters won't work. I discovered this when attempting to link to my site, so I created a symbolic link. I don't know why this board capitalizes Pathfinder.

I don't know why this board capitalizes Pathfinder.

Just a filter, kinda like how board filter out bad words... Pathfinder not capitalized is a bad word I guess!! B)

FYI, you guys had problems with those links because this board (npora.ipbhost.com) automatically always makes the word "Pathfinder" a proper noun. Therefore, links that have Pathfinder spelled with all lowercase characters won't work. I discovered this when attempting to link to my site, so I created a symbolic link. I don't know why this board capitalizes Pathfinder.

I fixed the links in my post also... Thanks XPLORx4, Pezzy, and 88.

I noticed that it kept capitalizing Pathfinder, I just didn't think that could be the problem... Nice save XPLORx4... :type:

I was reading on TNT (link to that thread above) that you can remove and replace the cams without taking off the heads... :shrug:

Just a couple of quotes from that other tread that I thought was worth seeing to anyone thinking of doing this mod...

After installing them, I would say they are definitely worth more than the $560 someone would normally have to pay.

I will be doing this on teh Xterra soon too.

Don't forget to check your valve clearance, though. It is a pain to have to get back in there again...

(This goes for the D21)

They say you can pull the radiator out and slide the cam shafts out the front of the head and through the front clip. To me it sounds rediculously difficult when pulling the heads isn't that hard at all.

To get down to the point where you can remove the cams you're only 10 botls away from removing the whole head all together. All it takes is a little patience in the process and a decent torque wrench to take them off and put them back on.

I guess if you can do it on a D21 you should be able to do it on a WD21.. right?