Ebay buying and what to watch for

lgranch

There have been many many discussion on the forum about cheap Pathfinders on Ebay with no reserve. I found the perfect example of how this works.

listing 4559667353 on Ebay has closed. The Pathfinder "sold" for $3070. This same pathy is for sale again as 4562058651 from the same seller (Starautogroup1) The buyer from the first sale must have been a friend because there is no negative feedback on him regarding a deadbeat buyer on this item.

So Starautogroup now has a bid of $102 on this pathy. They have a secret researve price set that make it look like there is no reserve. If they do not get their price a new friend will buy the truck and they start over again. This truck has been on Ebay atleast 2 times before the current offering.

So do not get excited about low priced no reserve auction for a deal that is too good to believe.

However there is a Pathy in NJ for sale with a blown motor. If you read the description they lost the T belt and destryed the heads. They just do not know that is what they did. The current bid is about $100. This one is a deal so go ahead and get excited, and just get new heads or a new motor. -bounce-

What you describe is called Shill Bidding and is against eBay rules. It can also qualify as misdemeanor fraud in many states.

If you are under the impression that this seller is having another account to "bid up" his auctions to get around the reserve price fee's, I would report him to eBay.

yeah, except ebay won't care... their customer service people will kick you around and you might get a reply email every two weeks or so and eventually you'll decide that it wasn't even worth reporting in the first place. =) trust me, that's how they dealt with me when i reported a non-selling seller. i did get my money back, but he left nasty feedback on my account, which i got withdrawn but only after agreeing to have his withdrawn too...

I've had better luck than that. Especially if you post in their message boards.

I was trying to purchase something from a seller (we'll call the seller ID Bob because I don't remember it) who was shill bidding with an ID Bob2. I reported this to eBay...didn't hear back from them at all, but both accounts were suspended indefinitely. :beer: I didn't win the item, because I caught on to what he was doing, so I didn't bid any higher after Bob2 outbid me a second time. First time, it may have been coincidence, but when you get outbid twice within an hour of placing your bid...it's a little suspicious.

yeah i imagine everyone's mileage may vary but that's been one of the complaints recently about ebay... they sell so much stuff every day that they don't take an active interest in investigating every problem as they should.

It may be against Ebay rules but it happens all the time. Especially on high ticket items. My point was do not get excited about a non reserve auction for a unbelievable deal. Yes one or two may be real but.....

If you are a common Ebayer then look at startautogroup1 as a seller. He does this all the time. There ris another guy that does it also, but I could not find his account off the top. By the way there is a starautogroup also. Could this be a duplicate account?????

I prefer to put in a reserve on my sales. That way if I don't get the reserve I amy be willing to sell it to the highest bidder anyway. I have bought alot of things that way by offering the seller a cash deal when his high bidder turns up as a deadbeat. I know Ebay doesn't like that either.

We reported (I know y'all be mad @ me fer this one) the guy who was selling cars by having half naked chicks all over the cars.... no offense to southern girls.. but these chicks were GHETTO. Nasty a$$ lookin.. ew... anyway. I got sick of looking through cars/trucks and finding these hoes all over every vehicle! So we reported them.. and they are no longer allowed to have these 'hoes" sprawled all over the cars, but after being warned, and not selling cars, the girls are back. This guy should have been monitored or something.... ACK! :oops:

Well here is another example of shill bidding. Paautoauctions currently has a 94 pathy with no reserve and $1.00 starting. This truck was sold on July 13th to BRBLUM for $2226. Obviously not enough money. BRBLUM has no negative feedback about a deadbeat bidder on this item, although he does on other items. The pathy was reposted on 7/15. So within 2 days of a "completed sale" the truck is back on the net. Thats not even enough time to find out if the bidder is a deadbeat. They are not even trying to hide the shill bidding!!

Hey Slick where are the "hoes" :(

We reported (I know y'all be mad @ me fer this one) the guy who was selling cars by having half naked chicks all over the cars.... no offense to southern girls.. but these chicks were GHETTO. Nasty a$$ lookin.. ew... anyway. I got sick of looking through cars/trucks and finding these hoes all over every vehicle! So we reported them.. and they are no longer allowed to have these 'hoes" sprawled all over the cars, but after being warned, and not selling cars, the girls are back. This guy should have been monitored or something.... ACK! :oops:

Hmmm...well its a good advertising ploy nonetheless.

If I saw a Pathy with a half naked chick on it...oh wait I did...

LMAO. jk.

Also, a lot of new stuff is stolen, too! You really have to be careful. Even though the seller looks reputable, provides a phone number, and is willing to discuss the item with you, still doesn't mean its not stolen. And generally, if this is the case, the seller does not know the item was stolen when he/she purchased it.

I can't remember what the dudes ebay name is who has the hoes, but if you just go looking for Chevy trucks or cars, no doubt you'll find one of his gazillion ads! I'll ask Dave what his ebay name is.....bein as he's the one who found'em.....

I am sorry to all the guys who like ads like that, but as a female, I find it really sux basically. If I am looking for a truck... I am f'd if I want to see a half naked, nasty a$$ hoe sittin on that truck.. EW... bad visual... :oops:

Edited by Slick