Durable paint in rattle can?

mws

Anybody know of any paint in a spray can that can stand up to constant outdoor exposure? I need to repaint the trim around the windows on my wife's BMW, and it needs to look really nice, for a long time. Satin black.

Are there any UV stable, tough things available, or do I need to break down and get a decent trim gun and use real paint?

If you really want to go nutz on it, use POR15. You can get a 'starter' kit on their web site for about $30. As for rattle can stuff, I don't have any good tips...

B

What about epoxy appliance paint? You might be limited in color though, I'm not sure if BMW made an avacado green or not. I used the gloss black on the restoration of my 750 kaw triple. The big box home improvement stores should carry it.

JMTC

Mike

Guess I'm verified nutz....

I always have POR-15 in stock and that is the default plan. But it requires a top coat of Chassis Black (POR-15 itself is not UV stable) and requires spraying, so to go that route I need to get a spray gun. Can't believe I'm not choosing the route that lets me buy another tool... That's my normal default route!

What about epoxy appliance paint? You might be limited in color though, I'm not sure if BMW made an avacado green or not. I used the gloss black on the restoration of my 750 kaw triple. The big box home improvement stores should carry it.

JMTC

Mike

Avocado green :eek: Against a Boston Green (kinda forest green shade) car!

That would guarantee my wife would never ask me to fix her stuff again...

How did the epoxy stand up to sunlight? So many paints look great for a year or two, and then start fading or chalking up. And the sun can be a little intense here.

2 coats primer, 4 coats satin black rusto, 3 coats clear outdoor paint.

That's easy to do...

What have you used this recipe on? Long term results?

what model and year is the bmw... is it just the run of the mill bumppy rough plastic???

or is it actual paint and clear coat on the flat plastic inbetween the doors???

or some metal?

i work at an auto-body shop that works on nothin but high end cars and if we need to just touch up some trim....

plastic<w/out clear coat> = mask well and spray the rattle can... looks good... cant tell you the super long term effects, but i have not heard of any complaints. and you could always try somthin else later down the raod if this peels or somthin. ;)

metal/ plastic <w clear coat>= we send it through the paint shop which color sands it and then blend the panel with actuall paint in a sprayer.

Edited by Sursely

I used the above method on my bumpers that are fading, Still looks good after almost a year, I kinda rushed it though. If you wanted it nice you would strip it and re-prime it.

Second that fusion comment, the stuff is awsome.