A Few Quick Questions About A 98 Se

Hi All,

Newbie here to the board. Its a bit of a surprise to see a board devoted to a SUV :clap:

Anyways, I've been in search of a Pathy for awhile, and think I found the right one. 98 SE w/93k miles, for $7100. Good deal? But I have some concerns as follows:

ABS brakes - From my research ABS is standard on 98 SE's correct? The truck I looked at DID NOT seem to have it, as I did not see an ABS indicator light on the dashboard when I started it up, and I could not find the ABS relays in the fuse boxes under the hood? :crazy: Any other indications I could look for to determine if it has ABS?

Emissions equipment - Accroding to carfax its failed NYS emissions 2X during the 8 yr span. First time in 1999 w/only 17k miles and 2nd time in 2002 w/71k. I thought the exhaust system was the culprit since I did hear rattling noises under the car as I revved it up (cat shield perhaps). However, it concerns me greatly that the truck failed its first emissions test after only ONE year on the road, so I figure it would be some sensor (O2 perhaps?) Is this a common problem? Anyone know how much it usually costs to replace a bad O2 sensor?

Lastly, there is some rust on the rear differential case (first big black round housing from bottom rear) and some rust along the exhaust pipes. Should this be a concern or normal considering its age and location?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions in advance!!!

Edited by pathfinderlude

Yea, I dont know if they have an ABS light, when I bought mine I had the very same question, alas I took it for a test drive, found a gravel parking lot and locked up the brakes. Yep, had ABS.

eh, emissions. You just gotta know somebody. Very possible they had it tested while it was cold (cat not warm) I know my old BMW used to be very picky about that failed two times for the person who had it before me, so thats why they sold it and I just drove it around for an hour before the emission test and it passed, no problem.

There are several ways to tell if the Pathfinder is equipped with ABS (if you don't have any evidence on the dashboard) and don't want to try to lock up the brakes:

1) ABS relays inside the fusebox behind the battery

2) ABS module located between the firewall and passenger-side strut tower

3) rear ABS sensor wires running along top of the rear lower control arms.

4) front ABS sensor wires attached to a clip on the front of the strut and a wire connector on the inner wheel well (both sides).

For the emissions failure, you don't know the reason for the failure. It could have been as simple as the check-engine light was lit due to a loose gas cap. So long as it's passing now, it may not be a big issue.

There are several ways to tell if the Pathfinder is equipped with ABS (if you don't have any evidence on the dashboard) and don't want to try to lock up the brakes:

1) ABS relays inside the fusebox behind the battery

2) ABS module located between the firewall and passenger-side strut tower

3) rear ABS sensor wires running along top of the rear lower control arms.

4) front ABS sensor wires attached to a clip on the front of the strut and a wire connector on the inner wheel well (both sides).

For the emissions failure, you don't know the reason for the failure. It could have been as simple as the check-engine light was lit due to a loose gas cap. So long as it's passing now, it may not be a big issue.

"ABS relays inside the fusebox behind the battery"

Yes I checked this fusebox as well as the one on the driver's side. What is the name of that relay/fuse? I looked on the cover of the fusebox and didn't see any ABS related relays? Could it have a different name or something?

Thanks for the tips on figuring out whether it has ABS or not :bow: I'll certainly chk them when I see the truck again.

My concerns over it failing emissions is how can it fail 2X during its lifespan? First time may have been a fluke event like an open gas cap like you said, but 2X I think is a cause for concern. Are there any issues/sensors/hardware that are prone to fail on the pathy which would lead to an emissions failure? I won't be able to find out whether it'll pass or not until I purchase it and take it to an inspection myself. -thnkboutit-

I have a 97 SE and I have and indicator on the dash...not sure where, but I see it all the time while i'm out wheeling. I have front ABS only, the proprtioning is controlled by some rear end height tension spring thingy. I'll find the topic.