Engine Swap/New Parts

Guest ReefDog

Guest ReefDog

Hey all. I'm lookin at buyin this 95 Pathfinder se 4x4. It's got 241k miles on it. And I know that Nissans hold their value really well as well as run for a long time. I was wondering if anyone knows, though, about how much a newer engine with less miles on it would cost and where I could get one. Also, lookin at gettin or makin a new exhaust for it if i buy it. any suggestions?

Edited by ReefDog

I'd say if it runs allright, doesn't smoke and still passes emissions after fixing any problems, leave it alone. Just give 'er some love in the form of a new timing belt, oil change, water pump, etc. Find out if any previous owners have had anything else done to it, too.

As far as the engine goes, you can find em all over. They inmport low mile engine from Japan all the time. I got mine for about $750 with 30k on it. You just need to look around and hope you city has a dealer.

If anyone is looking for a VG30 I have one out of a 88 300ZX that I totally rebuilt. It has new rings, connecting rod bearings, all new gaskets and the valves have been relapped. New timing belt, water pump, cam seals and tensioner. I had originally got the engine to put in my 84 720 but it is just a pipe dream now. It is the longer snout version so it will fit newer models and I have also put larger 10 mm studs in to replace the 8mm studs that always break on the exhaust manifolds.

If the engine runs fine, doesn't smoke, leak, etc., I wouldn't mess with it above normal maintenance. It most likely will continue to do so. If its still going fine at this point, its comforatble with its age, so why open a can of worms? If it develops a bad habit or blows at some point, then its time to start pouring the money fountain.