Head bolts

lgranch

I have been in "discussion" with my son over head bolts. The head bolts are official torque to yeild bolts. However you can not buy new head bolts anywhere. The Nissan dealership will special order them but, all the internet listings for head bolts say they can not be obtained.

Heads come off all the time for exhaust stud repairs and everything. What is the experience with you guys and gals on the forum?

Mookie?, 88? someone who has reused the bolts?

My son called a big Nissan dealer he works with in Buffalo, NY. The dealer does his own engine work and told him that they never replace the head bolts. As far as they knew no dealer replaced the head bolts unless something was obviously wrong.

I've always reused mine. Once on my pathy, a few times on my honda and I had a run of blowing head gaskets on an old civic that had a warped head. I only ever broke one once (on the civic) and was able to buy it from the honda dealer. Since when do bolts wear out?

The head bolts are torqued down very tight. It's not so much that they wear out, it's that they stretch. I've always replaced the head bolts on my VG30's when I take the heads off. It's just cheap insurance. I don't particularly like pulling the motor, so I do everything I can to make sure the job is done as best it can. I just recently rebuilt the VG30E in my 200SX, but I can't remember how much the bolts were. I get a pretty hefty discount through my local Nissan dealer though as they sponsor our Z club.