fuel cap problem?

Sayjack

During my road trip these past couple days I noticed the "service engine soon" light came on. There were no explosions, violent grinding noises, or anything like that, the light just came on. Upon reading the owners manual, I learned that this could be caused by a loose fuel filler cap, and that if you tighten the cap, the light should go out after "A few driving trips".

So how long is that? I've went through 2 tanks of gas since that and the light is still on. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how long before the light went out?

Had the light go on, drove to the dealer. he said 80% chance it was the fule cap but in this case not, was actually a timing sensor.

Dealer said when filling up with gas, stop at the first click of the nozzle, then put the cap on.

I did have the light come on again 36 km after filling up and gaining quite a bit of elevation. It took 3 week (5? fill ups) for it to go out.

Mine too was a sensor problem. If it isn't the filler cap, then its something else. Have it checked, its a good thing the computer spotted it before anything starts to act funny.

The main reason I suspected the fuel cap is because the light came on about 40-50 km after filling up at a full serve station where the gas jockey did the work. I think I'll wait a couple more days and see what happens.

Yeah, I've had that happen to me before a couple of years ago. But I took it to the dealer and got raped for $85+tax to read the code and turn off the SES light. They said it was an EVAP code and probably because of a loose gas cap. pssd So $92.14 later, I was on my way.

If you disconnect your negative terminal for a while. I left mine for half an hour and came back outside and that took car of it. If it comes back on right away again, then you'd start looking around at other possibilities.

With the luck I have had with the SES light I would say it's an o2 sensor or the vts. They final had to reprogram my computer, or update, whatever, and as of now no problems. Just my 2 cents.

When the SES light comes on it won't go off again for a certain number of "driving cycles." I believe a driving cycle is defined as a cold start, warm up, and then operation at running temperature (or at least something to that effect). It takes something like 10-20 driving cycles without the PCM registering any errors before it will turn off the SES light.

If you can get the codes read for free that would be a great idea. There are all kinds of little emissions sensors that can fail, break, or trip codes for some other reason. I would agree, as previously stated, that it might be the O2 sensor. Those things seem to be the first component to fail on a Pathy.

My SES Light went on about a month ago - for a while, and the truck was still running like new... and a week later it went out. I called my dealer and he said after so many starts it will reset if the code no longer registers...

unfortunalely it came on a a few days later... turned out to be my O2 sensor. (at almost 100,000 km's)

SES light went out today, excellent. Nothing more annoying than a light telling you that there is potentially something wrong with your new vehicle. My fuel cap shall never be loose again.

Edited by Sayjack