94 Nissan idles beautifully but acts up on acceleration

Our 94 Pathfinder idles beautifully. When we give it gas, it hesitates and sputters terribly. The previous owner said it sat for about 8 years. We had to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter and flush the gas tank due to rust and junk. The speedometer has jumped around but it ran. Now, it will not pick up speed. Starts and idles. We coded and got a 13, 14 and 51. One injector we replaced and have not reset codes to see if that injector fixed code 51.  The other two codes are for the vehicle speed sensor and the engine temperature sensor. Can these be tested and if so, can you direct us on how? Thanks

:welcome:

The EF&EC section of the service manual (free download from Nicoclub) is your friend for this stuff. Should have troubleshooting for each code, including circuit diagrams and sensor tests.

Mass Air Flow can do that, especially if it’s sporadic. Just something to be mindful of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't hurt to check/clean the MAF. The plug on the MAF tends to loosen up and cause issues, but when that was acting up on mine, it did the opposite--ran fine when my foot was in it, but forgot how to idle.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

One thing to mention is these trucks can't tell if an individual injector is bad, so you'll have to test them all if you haven't already. They should all be around 12-14ohms.

The engine temp sensor can definitely cause issues, it's the 2 wire one at the upper rad hose neck. They are cheap enough I'd probably toss a new one at it if the wiring checks out ok. With all those codes it sounds like there could be chewed wires? I would check the harness for any spots that look suspect.

You can test the temp sensor by putting it in water at a certain temp and measuring the resistance I believe. The details are in the service manual. https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals