Suspension

I need new shocks but have a 2” AC lift. Do I need different size/type of shocks? I was hoping to find some cheap used ones that are still decent but not sure what to look for. Thanks.

-Logan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sarath said:

I need new shocks but have a 2” AC lift. Do I need different size/type of shocks? I was hoping to find some cheap used ones that are still decent but not sure what to look for. Thanks.

-Logan

Everyone usually use KYB shocks and struts to replace their worn-out components and these are going for cheap on RockAuto here's a discount code 26541693695688324. You can also use the Bilstein 5100 Series https://amzn.to/3V3UdMN for the rear since you have a lift, but it will require some modifications to run these shocks on the rear of your R50.

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan
  • Like 1

Woah awesome!!! Thanks for the info. So I don’t need to change anything out for the lift kit I can just put new shocks? I guess I should look up how a lift kit works I really don’t know.

The rear are just a quick swap and drop in replacement, the front are not the same. You'll have to get a spring compressor for the front coils to safely remove/install the coils from the shocks. I run KYB and the 5100 setup and it's what I expected for the research I did. Pretty stiff in the front which I prefer, and the rear with the 9449 coils is still pretty soft but holds a lot of weight when camping. Not a super hard job, but is a bit scarier to do with the higher spring rate AC coils. (the stress could've turned my hair grey at 20)

• Like 1

Searching on youtube for nissan r50 strut installation should give you a few pretty detailed diy videos.  I swapped my aging/failing oem shocks/struts/springs for an OME/KYB setup (as well as kyb mounts and bearings.  It was fairly straightforward.  Its much easier if you can get a second person to help you remove the front struts. I used this spring compressor and it was very effective and seemed solid/safe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP2CDJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1