Engine Block Heater

Hello all that might still be lingering around(though I can tell there isn't much).

Due to this lovely weather we are having I have taken the time to decide that a Engine Block Heater would be a great idea for my 93 Pathfinder. Since I'm going through a VG33E I figure I might as well install it on that since the VG30E is holding up for now.

Who here has installed a Block Heater and had success? What Block Heater did you use and where did you install it?

And to clarify I am speaking of the coolant heater, not the oil heater.

I haven't done one on a VG, but I replaced one on a friend's Dodge last winter. Not much to it, provided the core plug hole isn't rusted to hell. They're not fun to do from under the truck, in the snow, so you've got the right idea doing it while it's on the stand. The heater I was replacing wasn't very old, so I'm not sure why it burned up. Didn't find any brand information on it. I don't remember what brand I replaced it with, either, but I didn't go with a cheap one, because I didn't want to do it again. IIRC the instructions on the site where I bought the heater said which core plug to replace and which way to point the element for that particular engine.

It does a world of good on a carb'd 360.

I won't argue the benefit of one as I have seen it make a huge difference on a Diesel Engine in the Colorado Rockies. I have also noticed how the VG30E wants to struggle in the below 0° temps which I am currently dealing with now. Funny thing is I found a NOS Block Heater off eBay and have it coming my way as we speak. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Also if I remember correctly the passenger side front of the block should have fair access from underneath(even though it is 4WD).

Like an OE Nissan one? That's cool, didn't know that was a thing. Makes sense it would be, though.

Yeah, mine's not happy when it's really cold. Takes a few minutes before it'll go into gear without stalling out. Fortunately I've had nowhere to go so far during this cold snap. It was -19F yesterday morning! Can't complain, power's still on on and the plumbing still works.

Yep, a OEM Nissan one. I found it right after posting this thread.

As for temps that low I would guess that a Synthetic Gear Oil would help with that. I already plan to swap to all the Motul oils and the Transmission Oil is GL-4 and full synthetic. That is the Gear 300. They also have Gear 300 LS for the Factory LSD if that applies to you. I'm sure that might help to an extent 

I think the engine just doesn't run well enough when it's that cold to hold its idle speed against the torque converter. Probably just poor fuel atomization. Cold ATF might not be helping, but the stuff is so thin to begin with that I doubt that's the whole problem. I just let it warm up while I clear the windows. Probably easier on the engine anyway.

I've read that synthetic gear lube nerfs the clutches in the LSD, don't know about Motul specifically though. Other than that, yeah, can't hurt.

Can't speak for the Automatic much as I did have one 4 years back for a month at best(until I rolled it). With the Manual it definitely becomes fun to say the least. As for the LSD it really comes down to having the right oil. If mixing an additive with synthetic I can promise it does.not work well at all as I have learned from experience 

I installed a block heater (OEM style) on my 02 xterra with the VG33ER when I replaced the engine. The factory location is the third one back on the drivers side frost plug. Wasn't hard to install but I had the engine out of the truck... It does make a huge difference though, I have heat before I even leave my driveway and the engine doesn't sound like a bag of marbles.