Stereo “Upgrade”

Teesetz

I have no idea what that device is, but I am curious.

That said I installed an Alpine Single Din with XM for my Radio. As for OffRoad Navigation I recently just picked up a Garmin Overlander. Even with the current sale it is pricy, but I feel it is worth the money since it will go off of satellite reception vs depending on Cell Towers. For communication I have a Midland MXT-275 GMRS with the 6DBI whip antenna. I don't have pictures at the moment but I can share that soon

• Like 1

Went as cheap as I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B421845R?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I’ve got trails off road, and OnX. I just download the area I’m going when I have service, and it stores it on my phone for when I lose signal.

Just have to make a mount for my Bose Speaker. I’ve been using that because the speakers currently don’t work, and I do NOT care enough to open that can of worms. Lol

Hopefully it works out well enough. I know with Google Maps alone it becomes a pain as the phone goes haywire once it looses signal. I can only imagine how it is with the few apps.

Definitely. I don’t get too far out in the sticks with the kids being as young as they are. Works for now.

I know Utah where I grew up like the back of my hand for the most part, not here however.

I’ll keep what your setup is in mind for anything in the future!

Looked better tucked into the hole IMO but I imagine the neck makes it easier to read and reach the screen. How's that pivot locked? Looks like something that could start working its way down after a few good bumps. 

I kept mine simple, basic single-din HU that I can plug an ipod into. I spend enough time swearing at touchscreens when I'm not driving. When I need maps, I just stick my phone in the ashtray.

+1 for Dire Straits, though. :aok:

• Like 3

I agree it definitely looks better tucked, and the mount is adjustable so I can tuck it if preferred. I just found that the shifter heavily obstructed use when it was tucked in. My dads usually in the passenger as the map maiden while I’m watching for cliff edges and tree stumps lol. So I’ll leave the swearing to his side of the vehicle.

Pivots are locked with your basic screw points.
I did a test run up the street, and our streets here are worse than most trails tbh and it’s holding up so far. I’ve got a few ideas if that does start to happen though.

LOL, reminds me of the stereo that was in mine when I got it. The faceplate motored open to reveal the CD slot, which would've been kinda neat if the faceplate didn't run into the shifter, strain for a moment, and then close again. 

I think I saw someone a while back who moved the HVAC controls down to where the head unit used to be, and somehow put the double-din up above. Might've deleted the middle vents to make it work? Must've been a square-dash. Better spot for the screen, but probably more work than it's worth.

• Like 2

Come to think of it there is swearing regardless when dads in the truck whether it’s taxes, potholes, or the damn kids these days. Lol

Funny you mention that. I had that thought taking stuff apart yesterday about orientation. Would be ideal if switched. Don’t think the juice is worth squeeze on that one.

So you have an idea here is the current setup I have. I just mounted the Gamin to the dash. Thankfully it doesn't bounce around a bunch. Some say it's overpriced, but I think it's worth the money.

You also see the Alpine deck and the Midland GMRS

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n72narbkmpkav8c/AAAPnlkCTkymxWHA3n134TBra?dl=0

• Like 1

I got the entry level Pioneer touch screen (DMH-220 EX) in mine. Bought it in 2019 for my 05 Altima, then took it out after that got totaled and put it in the Pathy. I actually don't mind how low it sits, and how it's on a slight angle facing upwards, looks pretty cool tbh