New to Pathfinder- Headlight question

Hey yall,

I just bought a 1999.5 Pathy to replace my totalled 1998 4Runner. But I have a question. My 4Runner's headlights were the H4 bulbs (Phillips Vision Plus - Power Bulbs). But what are the Pathfinders headlights? The owners manual is not in the car... I think H4 is in the head lights? Is there a such thing as frying the wiring harness using these bulbs? 12V 60/55w. Thanks so much!

Edited by OR99.5Speed

For my 2002, the owners manual lists the bulb as a HB2, with 60/55 watts. I replaced mine with 9003 NH super whites from GE. So far no problem with fuses or wiring and I use my lights a lot as I do a lot of driving on logging roads due to my job in forestry. They are great bulbs, $26 each at Canadian Tire. Also in Canada, we have daytime running lights, on the Pathy it is the headlights at a lower voltage. Hope this helps. I know where you are coming from re the wiring issue, my 1996 Mercury Mystique had terrible headlights and I put in higher wattage bulbs. Ford issued a warning that doing so would result in fuses going or the wiring harness catching on fire. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I was 99% sure that the wiring would be fine, but you never know...

I think I will be fine running the 60/55w bulbs. If you are looking for a truly brighter headlight, forget about the crappy Sylvania Sylverstars and get the Philips Vision Plus, a bulb that, along with the Osram Silverstars (the better version of the Sylvanias sold in Europe), is reasonably priced but is top-rated by the Euro mags.

So I guess my 99.5 uses H4 bulbs in the headlights and H3 bulbs in the fogs?

Edited by OR99.5Speed

The manual says H3 for the fogs alright. Thanks for the info on the lights, I may look at those when I need to replace the GE's :rolleyes: .

Also, when I changed out the original bulbs the alignment was way better, just a bonus.

Note you can get the owners manual in PDF from a few sites, I got mine from a Texas dealers web site. Follow this Link (or type [http://www.courtesyparts.com/Nissan-manual/index.html) Just scroll down to the Pathfinder section and download the one you need.

Cheers,

Will

Edited by Trainman

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Piaa Ion Crystal H3 55w for my factory fogs from LTB Motorsports.

I am hoping for good fog/snow/rain visibility, as yellow light (which these bulbs probuce) are better for cutting through inclement weather than white and especially blue lights. My new H4 Phillips Vision Plus headlights are pretty whitish in color, so these should complement them well.

BTW, this store was the cheapest and had the best shipping options. I should get them before next Tuesday.

Pics will come!

Okay, now I feel like a moron.

Does anyone know how to change out the fog bulbs on the 1999.5 and up Pathys? Do you have to remove anything?

Thanks

Edited by OR99.5Speed

You must remove plastic trim piece adjacent to the fog light. 2 mounting bolts are underneath the black plastic vent looking piece of trim. Use flathead screwdriver wrapped in a towel and insert it into side closest to fog light. Then, gently pry it out to reveal bolts. Pretty simply, just be careful not to damage the paint.

OR99.5speed,

I just happen to have my fog lights off at the moment so if you need any pictures on how to do it I can send some. The back of the light has a "twist" release if you haven't gotten that far, and once that piece is off the bulb is exposed and can be removed.

Tyler

Yeah, I can see what you are saying but 1) I need the better fog bulbs because I actually drive in fog and 2) I like the look of my white headlights and corner bulbs and yellow bulbs in the factory fog housings.

Later on I plan on adding some sort of driving lamp. There is a mod using the inexpensive round Hella 500 driving lamps, swapping the Hella bulbs with some from a KC Daylighter and using a 40w relay. I would mount these on the factory front bumper top, in front of the grill flanking the Nissan hamburger.