Gas Smell

Nufy

Lately i have been noticing a strong smell of gas when I start my Pathy in the mornings.

Usually more noticable on cooler mornings.

Starts and idles fine. Power like it always has had.

Just wondering where to start looking for causes.

O2 sensor ????

Oh btw 95 Pathy XE 5 spd 184,000 kms

Edited by Nufy

Perhaps you should lay off on the bean burritoes on the cool evenings...

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

Where is the odor coming from? Tailpipe or from underneath or?

i have the same problem, its not even a leak, only on really cool morning, you can smell it in the rear end, i ripped out my gas tank and everything, it all seams completely fine. on a cool morning a while back i laid down a hole bunch of cardboard and park on it, started my truck, went inside to let it warm up, and to see whats up, and like half hour later, not a drop still, check my entire gas tank and all the lines, completely dry, so i forgot about it, lol, not a noticable problem in my bok anymore.

on my 95, there's a small fuel line connecting the 2 fuel rails for the injectors. It has hardened and lost it's seal over the years and, when cold, had no flexibility. I tightened the clamps on each end and the smell went away.

on my 95, there's a small fuel line connecting the 2 fuel rails for the injectors. It has hardened and lost it's seal over the years and, when cold, had no flexibility. I tightened the clamps on each end and the smell went away.

Corey, common problem as our Pathys get older. Like k9sar said, look at the small 3-4" hose between the fuel rails. It's right by your distributor cap. Usually just have to tighten the clamps.

I already looked at that and tightened them a while back when I first read about it.

Maybe I'll give er another twist of the screwdriver.

Or just replace it.

It can't be that expensive... Right ?????

Edited by Nufy

I already looked at that and tightened them a while back when I first read about it.

Maybe I'll give er another twist of the screwdriver.

Or just replace it.

It can't be that expensive... Right ?????

I'd just by a length of fuel line hose - that should be fairly cheap.

Another source of gas smell is the sending unit at the tank. Pull up the carpet in the rear and open the acess panel. The sending unit is right there. This gasket can go bad also. Replace it and tighten the clamps on the fuel lines.

Another thing to check:

The fuel return line on my 1990 240SX did NOT like the oxygenated fuels when they came out in my area in the mid 90's. Something in the fuel caused the return line to get extremely brittle and it developed cracks and started weeping. Fortunately, I spotted and fixed it before the line blew apart and sprayed all over the place. I replaced it with high pressure fuel line and never had another problem.

The vent lines on both of my Triumphs did the same thing within the year. I used polyurethane on those and they've held up well.

So check ALL rubber or rubber like components if your area is requiring "reformulated" or oxygenated gas. There were definitely some commonly used materials in the 80's and early 90's that do not like the stuff...