I over advanced my timing...

So I was timing my pathfinder a while back and didn't realize the advance know had been turned, but when I got it done it was really peppy and ran great, a while later I just checked the timing for no real reason and found it was set to like 35° btdc. When adjusted back to the correct 17 degrees it didn't have an much power, how was the ECU able to compensate for such a large error? Is it bad to have it adjusted that early? I know it can knock but I'm pretty experienced and this engine was running great. Anyone have some input? It's a 97 so vg33

The marks on the pulley only go up to 20 degrees. How did you confirm it was at 35? Check the service manual for the procedure, starts on page 32. You have to disconnect the TPS and do some rev up malarkey first. https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Pathfinder%2F1997%2Fec.pdf

Hope this helps.

1997 Nissan Pathfinder Serpentine Belt Routing and Timing Belt Diagrams

Edited by adamzan
add link to fsm

The computer just assumes you've got the distributor in the right place. It has no other reference to check it against. And, yeah, it has to be checked and set under the right conditions. I set mine cold once and it was way off once it warmed up. If you set it cold, with the timing light set wrong, who knows where it was set.

I imagine increasing the advance would wake it up, to a point, until it starts pinging. No idea how far you can get away with on one of these. If it wasn't pinging, and didn't throw a knock sensor code, it probably didn't hurt anything. Might give you issues if you towed with it like that, though.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:41 AM, Slartibartfast said:

The computer just assumes you've got the distributor in the right place. It has no other reference to check it against. And, yeah, it has to be checked and set under the right conditions. I set mine cold once and it was way off once it warmed up. If you set it cold, with the timing light set wrong, who knows where it was set.

I imagine increasing the advance would wake it up, to a point, until it starts pinging. No idea how far you can get away with on one of these. If it wasn't pinging, and didn't throw a knock sensor code, it probably didn't hurt anything. Might give you issues if you towed with it like that, though.

I know I had my old 1994 way over advanced at 20 or 25 because the distributor was messed up. I didn't know any better at the time but damn did it ever have a lot more power lol.