1997 Pathfinder Power Steering Pump

AR97Pathfinder

I’m planning on changing the power steering pump soon on the R50 as it has been making noise for sometime, especially the consistent squeaking pulley.

Has anyone changed these out before? Anything in particular has to be removed before the pump can be removed? Just want to make sure I can get the job done in the same day and not run into anything too difficult as the weather is not great. But my grad program is starting back in January, and I use the vehicle to commute long distances so I don’t want to leave it. I should mention the original one on there is not leaking, just noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure it’s not just a worn belt squeaking? Changing the belts is a pretty quick job 

Not a bad idea to check that, I changed that about 3 years ago when I did all the other belts.

Steering related I’ve also just started hearing a creak or groan like noise when release the steering from a left locked position. So far it only seems to occur when first driving the vehicle after sitting in the cold. I literally have all new suspension front and back, and that’s practically every single component I’m talking about so I’m not sure where that’s coming from. New rack and pinion as well.

I will have to do further checking once it warms up enough. It sounds like the noise your handbrake would make when you pull it or like someone burping, LOL. I don’t know if the pump can make such a noise.

Does the power assist seem weak? That is, is it hard to steer? Does the pump make any whining or rattling sounds while the engine is running? How dark is the fluid? Hopefully it's good, since you've recently replace the rack and pinion. The sound you hear when turning from a left full lock is likely not the PS pump, since it's unaware of the position of the rack. The sound could be a worn bushing or a bad strut bearing, or it could be an issue with the rack. As previously mentioned, try tightening the belt or replacing it to get rid of the squeak.

If you do end up replacing the pump, it's pretty easy, although perhaps a bit messy, since you'll need to drain the fluid. Besides the belt tensioner bolt, there are just a couple other bolts holding the pump in place. Those plus removing the PS fluid hoses is about all it takes.

9 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

… worn bushing or a bad strut bearing, or it could be an issue with the rack.

Wondering this as well. Sounds more like something beginning to wear and complaining at the limits of its travel 

• Like 1

Does the power assist seem weak? That is, is it hard to steer? Does the pump make any whining or rattling sounds while the engine is running? How dark is the fluid? Hopefully it's good, since you've recently replace the rack and pinion. The sound you hear when turning from a left full lock is likely not the PS pump, since it's unaware of the position of the rack. The sound could be a worn bushing or a bad strut bearing, or it could be an issue with the rack. As previously mentioned, try tightening the belt or replacing it to get rid of the squeak.

If you do end up replacing the pump, it's pretty easy, although perhaps a bit messy, since you'll need to drain the fluid. Besides the belt tensioner bolt, there are just a couple other bolts holding the pump in place. Those plus removing the PS fluid hoses is about all it takes.

The power steering is not that stiff when driving, I would say it can be a bit when parking, but you can still operate it using one hand. The fluid is in good condition since the steering rack replacement and has not darkened over the year.

I’ll have to check the other noise out throughly. So far I only hear it when turning to the left and its mainly when the vehicle is first driven and cold. Once the vehicle is driven and everything has warmed up you do not hear it back at all.

Thanks for the info on the pump, I’m going to replace it soon. The only thing I was wondering is if the pump has enough space to be pulled out without removing anything else.

I agree with EXPLORx4. Start with tightening with belt. If that doesn't work, consider replacing the belt. Three years isn't that old, but who knows, it may have wore out. Which brand is it?

Earlier this year, my 2002 Sentra had almost the same symptoms as yours. Given the age of my vehicle, I also thought that my power steering pump was done, but when i checked the belt, it appeared a bit loose. I tightened the 5-6 year old Gates belt and haven't had an issue since then.