No reverse gear 2003 Pathfinder 2wd Auto

md1m

Reverse will engage when fluid is cold, but once it's warm I have no reverse. I'm going to do a pan drop and change the transmission fluid and replace the filter. Then have a transmission shop look to see if it might be something like a solenoid. But if it's something major, I could easily continue to drive it around town without reverse. I've done it for a few weeks and haven't had a problem. 

Has anyone driven their vehicle for a significant length of time without reverse gear? If the reverse can't be fixed, I'm wondering if I can just drive it until the forward gears start to fail. The forward gears are still shifting like new. I am only driving it 3k-5k miles a year as it's our "extra" vehicle. Has 255k miles but is still in excellent condition.

I did with my 93. Your trans is starting to die and if you get it repaired now it is cheaper. 

First to go was reverse, but after a little while started losing forward gears. By the time mine went into the transmission shop, I only had 3rd left. Shop found my clutches and bands had lost all the friction material and scored the drum. Also found one of the planetary sets was heavily worn from lack of lubrication. 

I went two months of driving with a finicky reverse. When it warmed up and the weather was warm, it wouldn’t engage reverse immediately. Sometimes it would engage after a few seconds, other times it had to blip the throttle. I added a trans cooler and changed fluid but it made no difference. I just went ahead and swapped the trans. I learned to park facing downhill so I always had an out