exaust leak

chapter

I had a hard time with the gaskets on my '87 when I did the exhaust. It seemed like once I repaired one another would start leaking. I ended up using Permatex ULTRA COPPER Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker for the connection between the header and Y-pipe. Works better than any of the replacement gaskets I tried. Its available at most any auto parts store but here's a link so you know what to look for.

ULTRA COPPER Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

If you can get to the bolts and pull the flange apart you could prolly repair it yourself.

Good luck.

I would think so. Although they're liable to give you the standard disclaimer. The hi-temp copper is good stuff as well but you'll still have to split the joint. Head for the sawsall and either a gasket from the parts house or a tube of copper and some nuts, bolts and washers. Wear some eye protection if you choose to do it. There is going to be a lot of junk falling while your working on it. Eyes the pair without a spare.

Mike

Ditto to both of the above; ultra copper is great when used with gaskets, it may be problematical to get apart, and use safety glasses ALWAYS ! I didn't have a manifold leak until I broke open the Y to remove the tranny for the clutch. It started leaking 2 months later... Different stress loads I think.

Perhaps a shop will argue to change the y pipes, but the difference in labor and the new exhaust parts may well equal additional issues in the future; they will have to gaurentee it. Depends on the price... Update us...

B