Another engine swap idea

neilca

I have a 1999 Pathfinder with a VG33 engine. As I read somewhere, it has the performance of a four cylinder with the gas mileage of a V8. I have been toying with many options to remedy this problem and my latest thought is to drop a VG30DETT from a JDM distributor into the hole. I have seen a WD21 with this swap and figured the R50 would also fit. It would also bolt up to my automatic transmission that I have just rebuilt. Motor mounts are the same, since the engines share a similar block. The JDM's also come with a main harness and ECU.

Does anyone have knowledge of this swap, seen it before, and/or have strong opinions?

VG30dett engine.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder about the transmission holding up at 300hp.. I suspect you'd need to put a shift kit in it or the soft shifts will quickly turn into slipping. 

Edit: I also think you should do it!

Edited by onespiritbrain

When I rebuilt the transmission I added the TransGo kit and added an external cooler. I don't think it would stand up to drag racing or rock climbing, but should be OK for an old guy going to the gun club.

• Like 1

You will have to do some serious modifications to the front of your truck to make that engine fit. The twin cam heads are much bigger and makes the engine very wide. Then you have to figure out how to fit turbos and it gets much harder. 

The VQ35 is a better choice if looking to upgrade in a semi reasonable way. Still not a simple swap, but Nissan did find a way to shoehorn that engine into the R50 chassis. 

The picture above is of a VG30DETT sitting in a D21. Do you think the engine bay is narrower on the R50? I suspect it would be wider due to the stock engine being a V6 instead of a 4 cylinder. I have measured for a V8 and the bay is just not long enough without relocating the radiator/condenser.

The D21 was available with either the KA24 or the VG30. Given that the VQ35DE fits the later R50s, I'd expect the R50 engine bay to have much more room for activities, but you'll still be fighting for space.

This guy got a VG30DETT into his '95 WD21, he might have some tips.

Great link, thanks. I think the thing that concerns me the most is the wiring. I am a machinist/welder/engineer so the mechanical stuff doesn't scare me.

If you can identify what the function of each wire is with a wiring diagram then you will be just fine. Might be a big job but think about how insanely complex the PLC wiring can be in even a small piece of automated industrial equipment.

I imagine the fuse banks and relay banks are going to be the most fun, figuring out what the current pinout of each plug harness is and meshing them up with the new engines wiring diagram vernacular.

If you do this, I bet a gang of us will help every bit we can.

WD21 and D21's have a body on frame construction. The R50 is a unibody. The inner fenders of the older trucks could be cut out without causing too much structural issues. Not so much with the R50. The TT part of the VG30EDTT is for twin turbos. Those attach to the manifolds right in the narrowest part of the engine bay and where the steering shaft goes. 

Not saying it is impossible, just that it will be very difficult and really won't be too much of an "upgrade" over a VQ35. 

Then again, I am more interested in in torque than hp with my truck. The VG33 I have in my 93 allows me to keep up with traffic. The tires and suspension keep me from wanting to go over 80. That and I am old, so not generally in a big hurry anymore. I am the old guy camping out in the right lane that oddly still seems to get to his destination at his planned time. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse
  • Like 1

I will continue to save up some fun money and investigate this option. Once the project starts I will post with pics. Could be a grand adventure.

• Like 1