How to connect an Ammeter

Mrelcocko

Hey guys need some help on this. I've done got my oil and volt gauge connected easy cheesy, but the ammeter is a different animal. Does anyone know the safest and the how to on connecting this gauge? The gauge reading goes to 60+ and 60-. On the dial. Any help would be greatly appreciated.4f3aa300d7393ce37c1131f9391e9169.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

It should have come with a shunt. It can either measure output of the alternator or output of the battery.

Depending on what you want to measure and the shunt rating, you have to splice the shunt into the positive terminal directly off the battery or directly off the alternator output.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity did you run the wires through the clutch firewall knock out plug or did you find another place?

That's the next big issue with my brake controller. I've got a manual. I've looked at the wires going through the firewall behind the center stack and I didn't like that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to drill through the rubber plug next to the hood release cable and run them through the wheel well. But I'm afraid I'm going to make a mess.

Holy crap I can't believe they are still making aftermarket ammeters with a shunt in the gauge, that you have to run the alternator output wire in and out if the cabin. I wouldn't even install it.

They used the same design in old Scouts and it would cause charging problems, and the firewall pass through would occasionally catch on fire as the truck aged, corrosion built up, and people installed higher output alternators.

After reading about installation of an ammeter, I am dubious about its usefulness in a modern alternator-equipped vehicle. The Pathfinder's alternator is also capable of generating more than 60 amps, so that ammeter could get maxxed out if you actually use it. The most tell-tale sign of an electrical problem is often a voltmeter. We know that alternators generally output between 13.6 and 14.4 volts, and if the voltage is lower than that with the engine running, there's something wrong. That being said, if you intend to diagnose an electric drain when the engine is off because you frequently have a dead battery after sitting overnight, it's better to actually use a multimeter and insert its leads between the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal to measure the current draw. A measurement above about 100 milliamps (0.1a) should be investigated.

• Like 1

After reading about installation of an ammeter, I am dubious about its usefulness in a modern alternator-equipped vehicle. The Pathfinder's alternator is also capable of generating more than 60 amps, so that ammeter could get maxxed out if you actually use it. The most tell-tale sign of an electrical problem is often a voltmeter. We know that alternators generally output between 13.6 and 14.4 volts, and if the voltage is lower than that with the engine running, there's something wrong. That being said, if you intend to diagnose an electric drain when the engine is off because you frequently have a dead battery after sitting overnight, it's better to actually use a multimeter and insert its leads between the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal to measure the current draw. A measurement above about 100 milliamps (0.1a) should be investigated.
I'm definitely not going go use it. I appreciate all the answers guys. I was very hesitant about it anyway with what I'd had read before all the replies. Seems dangerous to me.

Already thought that very same thing. I've got a matching water temp gauge that came with the 3 pack. I bought this amp meter year ago and thought I'd use it. Oh well here comes the temp gauge. Lol