Nasty noise up front while accelerating...

Guest El_Madmaster

Guest El_Madmaster

For a while I think i've had some sort of exhaust leak up in front, during acceleration it clicks a bit, especially at low rpms, wasn't too loud though. Today after doing some offroading (Kelly DTRs work really well... though I was bottoming out alot), I went onto the road, and after speeding up pretty hard, there was a kinda popping noise and the car got really loud under acceleration. Also when you let off the gas and it slows down at lower rpms, it makes a sick sounding bubbling or gurgling noise of some sort lol. Someone thought it may have been cat converter related, another thought possibly a gasket. You can notice right away on startup it's louder, but on idle it's not too much different, while accelerating it's probably about three times as loud as normal. Any ideas?

I think you're right. It sounds a lot like an exhaust leak to me. If you were bottoming out on the trails, you might have hit the collector pipe or something and spread the gap at the manifold flange. It only takes a little gap to make a lot of noise. Poke around, you'll find the leak.

You probably hit your crossover pipe and either put a hole in it, or stressed a connection in the pipes somewhere. The crossover pipe sits lower than anything else in the front of the vehicle, just another one of Nissans great engineering ideas pssd . I caught mine on a rock once and it cracked right at the Y about 3/4 around and sepperated about 1/2" at the widest. Had to put a floor jack under the crossover to bend it back up and close the gap back so I could weld it back together.

Guest El_Madmaster

Cole just took care of it, apparently two gaskets were the problem. Total cost 29 dollars, was expecting it to be worse. Good to go.