Transmission Problema

I smelled the wire loom, which was wet, and it was purple powered then pressure washed. I wish they wouldn’t have done that. Hopefully whoever did it was careful where they pointed the pressure washer.

e50c115bd313c07a9697a159da3813b8.jpg

And so it begins... again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The weekend is finally here and soon I will be test driving my new(to me) transmission! I hope to have everything put together before sundown tomorrow.

Tonight I got everything disconnected from the transmission except the dipstick tube, TC bolts, and bellhousing bolts. Exhaust is out as well.

• Like 2

It’s coming along fellas. Little more involved than I remembered but all in all it’s been smooth.

The transmission/transfercase assembly is huge... the transfer case weighs almost as much as the transmission!
b163f29f8592e30f0912e6132edc985f.jpg
The oil is slightly brown on this transmission but it doesn’t smell bad at all.

I am mating the transfercase to the new transmission right now.
267f02e593de398fe4272e7fd7c13301.jpg

I’m not sure if I’ll finish it today or not.

• Like 3

Guys, this transmission is solid! I put about 5 miles on it so far and it shifts almost perfectly!

I snapped some photos of the oil that came out of it:
4fc1a4b8806590b5b6ed3b6a48e460be.jpg
2888eece82a7574d367d89bb9c119ff6.jpg

My AC has stopped working now... I’m not sure what exactly the problem is yet but it wasn’t working at all. I’ll cycle the compressor during high RPM tomorrow to see if something breaks loose.

Wooooh! I got my car back :]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m worried about this transmission.

Some things I’ve noticed are:
1. OD kicks out and then back in when pressing the gas while cruising at 45-65mph(I wonder if this is “gear searching” others speak about)
2. 2-3 has a slightly slow shift(expected at 158k miles)

Other than that the trans has been doing great, however, today on the way home from my sons baseball game something happened..

While slowing down at a stop sign it kicked into a lower gear and it felt like a downshift in a car with a manual transmission. I immediately said “woooah, what was that” because it was noticeable.

Then finally at the following stop sign it did the same thing but this time the “4WD” light came on. When I came to a complete stop the light went away.

This last thing may just have been me freaking out but I was babying it onto the freeway and I thought I detected what felt like neutral between the 3-4 shift.

Should I go ahead and call the used parts place and let them know what’s going on? I have about 15 more days on my 30 day warranty.

Hmm. I'd start by checking your fluid level again, just on the off chance it burped a little air out or something.

It sounds like it's shifting hard sometimes, soft sometimes, and not always at the right times, which makes me suspect the TPS might need adjustment or might not be reading properly. I don't see anything about a relearn procedure in the manual, but you might try unhooking the battery for a bit in case the TCU has some stored memory of the old tranny that's confusing it now. Is it giving you any codes?

I don't know what to make of the 4WD light coming on, that's just weird. My best guess there is loose wiring, or the shifter bumped something when the engine downshifted (how are your engine and trans mounts?), but I don't see how that would've pushed it back far enough to turn the light on.

06c28c9c1b8526787c91596a7c9891aa.png

From this guys explanation I’m assuming it is normal since he is suggesting to perform the exact scenario I am experiencing to see if lockup is happening or not.

That is awesome.

And you said loose wiring.. I have a single connector for the transfercase (the top left one) that won’t click in fully and I actually found it completely unplugged when I was removing the bad transmission.

I’m going to check it on my lunch break!

The connector was good.

I think my supposed lockup issue is actually the trans going into coast mode and since I have mud tires coasting doesn’t last long at all so I am constantly feeling it lockup after I coast.

The other issue hasn’t come up again at all!

Manual transmission.

Haha was that a suggestion??? I’ll never buy another automatic again, if I can help it.  

And actually the next vehicle I’m looking for is a low mileage 2004 Nissan Pathfinder with manual trans. I’m willing to fly out and drive back for it..

I’m about 2-3 years from a new vehicle though.. so this one has got to straighten up and fly right!

It’s really been driving great. I have my hopes up for this transmission.

Edit: just for info purposes, this lockup(not OD) “issue” only happens if I take my foot all the way off the gas while in 4th(OD) and locked. The RPM drop below locked RPM when you coast so I guess that’s accomplished by unlocking. That makes sense though because your coasting would be reduced if you were locked up, just like trying to coast while in gear with a manual trans. I wish there was a way to disable coasting..

I’m driving my wife’s GX around right now and I can confirm what I thought was an issue is actually normal.

Also I drove to Atlanta today and back in 5oclock traffic and I was about to comfortably crank my music up and ignore the trans completely.

It feels great.

Yeah, it was a suggestion. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the Titan and wd21 and just bought a manual transmission Frontier. 

I still sometimes think about selling the Titan and getting a newish frontier. 

• Like 1

It’s the overrun clutch solenoid or something in the overrun clutch system. The overrun clutch causes the output shaft not to turn faster than the input shaft (engine braking... like in a manual when you coast in gear... just like it did!!!)

This morning I noticed that the vehicle was slowing down when I let off the gas and now I realize it was engine braking.
7373ab6dec47fc8aa9a8edb48513b578.png
In 4th it’s not supposed to operate! And the other night when slowing at that stop sign it suddenly engaged!

Crap. So this trans does have a problem... now I have to figure out what I need to do about it.

Wow.. yeah. I put my spare TPS on and it drives completely normal now.

The shifts are much smoother, which is fine, but the 2-3 flare is more pronounced. Before the shifts were smooth sometimes and then sharp other times but I thought it followed transmission oil pressure/temperatures.

Now it shifts the same from the time I pull out of the driveway until I get to work. It was also requiring some serious throttle to kickdown into 2nd gear but now it feels just right.

I know it finally threw a code at the end there but doesn’t the TPS throw codes pretty easily? I thought it was sorta common that they throw codes and not even be bad..

Also, after I put this TPS on it seems like my engine is quieter? Is that possible? Before it was, for lack of better words, more tonal? Now I can hardly hear the engine at all and the small exhaust leak I have is a lot more noticeable.

Hopefully I can go a week or so here without going back and forth on this vehicle! Sheesh..

• Like 2