91 Pathfinder door locks messed up

Guest jd033

Guest jd033

Im having trouble with my door locks on 1991 Pathfinder. The key will not unlock the driver door or passenger door but it will unlock the hatch. So i gotta open the hatch and unlock my back left door to get in and unlock my door. Anyone ever have these problems?

I don't know if it might be related, but my locks go crazy sometimes. They will lock and unlock rapidly and repeatedly, and when you go to unlock them by pulling the knob, they lock on you, like the car is trying to KEEP YOU IN :( . Also, sometimes you can't pull up the knob to unlock the door at all.

Most likely your key is worn down a little as well as the tumblers in your locks. Try getting another key made. BTW, do you have power locks? A lot of alarm and stereo places will install a basic alarm with a keyless entry feature for about $100. Keep that in mind if you end up needing to replace door locks or something else that might get pricey.

Guest jd033

yea i got powerlocks i will look into the keyless entry thing along with the alarm, i was looking at getting an alarm anyway. thx for the help

I don't know if it might be related, but my locks go crazy sometimes. They will lock and unlock rapidly and repeatedly, and when you go to unlock them by pulling the knob, they lock on you, like the car is trying to KEEP YOU IN :( . Also, sometimes you can't pull up the knob to unlock the door at all.

mine does it too. daumn.... i tend to pull on the handle a bit when unlocking and it will open then... it does it from the inside too... especially on the passenger side... kind of like it doesn't want to let you out... not enought of a hassle to look into yet but surely wouldn't mind finding out what the heck is up with that...

See the sticky in the Garage forum under common Pathfinder problems and the fixes. My '91 with powerlocks has done this same thing.

I haven't replaced anything yet as per the "fix" listed. My ghost in the machine has been too sporatic to properly diagnois until I found this board.

Mike

my friend had a 95 with power locks, and when it was cold out the doors would lock when you slammed the door shut. a real pain if you had left the keys inside.

he kept a hide a key in the spare tire