Question about repairing rusty rocker panels

Megaton

I, like a lot of you, have rusty rocker panels. I found what might be a cheap repair on YouTube. Expanding foam is used to backfill the area then tiger hair or equivalent is used for the final contouring. My question is, if the rocker is sealed up with foam will it cause drainage problems and start rust in a different area? I plan on coating the inside of the rocker with an internal frame spray to convert the rust and prevent more. I also have rust spots around the rear wheel wells that this might work on. Any feedback will be appreciated.

That expanding foam stuff eventually turns into a sponge and causes more rust where it is sprayed, and by diverting water to other areas as you surmised. Sorry I don't have alternatives. But I'd live with the rust instead of spray foam.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah I would 2nd that idea...got abuddy who owns a autobody/restoration shop & he sez the ONLY way to deal with automotive cancer is to remove it completely and replace it w/new sheet metal(and they do a LOT of it). I realize that may be financially impractical for you but there products like Rustmort, etc, that will, at least, halt the spread of the rust. Consider checking out high school auto shops...sometimes they will take on outside projects simply for the chance of the students being able to work on a different vehicle other than the few thay may have been donated to the school.

• Like 2