Rusted 1994 Pathfinder frame??

Guest triberat71

Guest triberat71

Well I have just bought a 1994 4x4 Pathfinder 4 door SE for a low price because the rear frame rails have rusted away. I have it in a custom auto shop but have no idea what years are going to work well for a swap. They are rusted away from just behind the rear doors all the way to the tail end so the body shop just want to find a good rear frame to swap in. My question is do I need to stick with the same year and body style or can a 2 door version for just the rear part of the frame work and was the pre 90's frames any different. I just need to know what wold make a good enough match to get it back on the salty roads in Ohio. Also if any one has what I am looking for I would be interested.

It is true that all 90 to 95 frames will fit. However try to find a 90, 91or 92. Nissan had a steel problem starting in 93. Almost all 95 frames are rotted. Most 94s are and some 93s. If you replace it with a 95 then the problem is still there and you get to watch it rot again. Do not drive a frame rotted Pathy. The rear suspension depends on that frame to be stiff and straight. If it moves around the rear axle will move around. Eventually there will be flex cracking and the rear axle will separate from the frame.

There was one person on this forum that had the frame replaced. The cost was just over $3000. If you have to pay someone to do this job either frame replacement or welding then it is not worth the expense--- go buy a pathy with no rust. A good used pathy in the Cleveland area is around $2500.

Now if you are doing the work yourself then ok have fun. I have my choice of frame rotted pathys for about $100. The bodies are perfect and the frame is totaly gone. These are parts trucks only. Sorry if this is too negative a post for you.

Guest triberat71

I guess my other question is that my Pathfinder is 4 door 4x4 and all I need to replace is the rear frame starting where the frame starts to curve infront of the rear suspension, my question is will a 2 wheel drive frame or 2 door frame work for my fix because these salvage vehicals are easy to come by in my area but 4x4 4door vehicals are tougher to come by.

The difference in price of Pathy's would come into play, depending on your area. We don't tend to have the frame rusting issues much on the left coast, and a 94-95 Pathy can relatively easily start around $4000 and go up pretty far from there cause they're solid. Its seems it would be hard to find a solid frame with a toasted body or engine, cause if they're still functional they're on the road. The ones in the boneyard tend to be wrecked or have a blown motor.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest triberat71

I wanted to say thanks to grimgreg for your reply with the info for all years of frames that would fit for my frame fix, and you were right and It only cost me $700 for parts and labor to get my pathy back on the road and it drives so nice. The shop that did the work makes limo's and other monsters for offroading and did a great job in very little time and cost. Thanks for the replies!!

post-6-1113573586.jpg

I too am suffering a rust mutilated rear frame and it's only getting worse. Will probably just patch it until parttime but if this solution is viable Im definitely looking for more details.

> Holla GrimGreg :D

Edited by apc

I too am suffering a rust mutilated rear frame and it's only getting worse. Will probably just patch it until parttime but if this solution is viable Im definitely looking for more details.

> Holla GrimGreg :D

Hello back APC

How about some pictures of the repair job. The repairs I have seen in the past are hack jobs. I want to see one done right.

If he did what he was talking about he just swapped in part of another frame rather than patch work. But, some pics of where they cut it and spliced in the new would be nice to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Daughter-in-law has a 1992 Pathfinder XE. Been a real good truck, Very reliable with very good rubber all around and with the exception of an ABS light on the dash (but the ABS works fine...controls the skids etc...its the sensor), has no issues whatsoever. Everything works well, including the A/C. My son uses it to commute to a job 16 miles away. Been perfect at 75mph on the interstate he travels.

Here's the issue: the passenger side rear frame just past the back tire is rusted out. Looks like about 40% gone, 60% integrity. I think it can be boxed and welded pretty cheaply. Truck has 117,000 miles but drives like it has 70,000. Lot of highway miles there.

Any idea what we can expect to pay for boxing and reinforcing that frame on one side only? Other side is fine. I've been all over it. Due to its age, we are trying to decide whether to repair or to get rid of the truck.