UCA mounting bolt cross threaded and galled

gamellott

Long story short, someone who did an alignment on it, not too long ago, cross threaded one of the Upper Control Arm mounting bolts and now it's seriously galled. Has anyone put a Helicoil into that?

The pulling symptom was weird. It appeared to point the truck to the right and the steering wheel would pull to the left. I've been living with this pulling for several months now and I finally tore apart all of the brakes, rebuilt the calipers and bled the @!*% out of the system with no change. I took a closer look, thinking it was something chassis related, like bushings. It turns out that the driver's side upper control arm rear bolt was sticking out about 1/2 inch and the forward bolt was loose.

With a Lack of having a 14mm 1.50 pitch tap and die, I threw some anti-seize on the threads and forced it back in the hole with an impact hammer. I know it's going to need proper attention in the future.

So.... Helicoil or Weld and tap?? Suggestions??

It does drive and track fine even though I may have lost whatever shims may have been on the rear. I might just leave it alone??

Edited by gamellott

If it's working I would leave it for now.

When you get ready to repair it, I wonder if you could drill it out and then install a sleeve so you could still use the same bolt size. Other option may be to drill oversize and tap for a larger bolt.

I think the "sleve" you mention would be a Helicoil, or a Timesert which would use the same size bolt. I don't know if either of those options are good because it's such a large bolt and it's under a pretty heavy strain at times. Re-tapping to a larger size probably isn't a great idea because the hole in the upper control arm Just fits the bolt, like a snug washer.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-0-580-Steel-Knurled-Flanged-32FY58?breadcrumbCatId=10626

I was thinking something similar to above. Through drill the frame, insert the sleeve from the backside, and install the bolt.

The Timesert looks like a great option. I would use that over helicoils anytime. I have never had problems with helicoil, but have never liked them either. I have seen Timesert type items used in aluminum products from the factory in rigging and scaffolding applications, so I wouldn't have a problem trusting them in this situation.

I haven't seen anything quite like what you linked in over 20 years when I had something like that holding the louvers onto my Datsun 210. Good Idea, but it doesn't appear to come in a 14mm size. Thanks for the info. More ideas later ;)

I'm not overly fond of the helicoil either. I think I'll throw the timesert in when I go to repair it. The kit, on Amazon, is $116. Not thrilled to have to get it, but I will when it comes time ;) Just hope it isn't on the side of the road while I'm doing it ;)

So far I have been lucky with all of my vehicles, for the mostpart, I have not been stranded anywhere except home :D

Helicoil or timesert is your best option. Some people have tapped it to some non metric thread size but that just makes it a PITA for anyone to work on in the future. My old pathy had a helicoil on one size, held up until I sold it, and it was lifted with 33" tires.

Just gonna say, now that everything is tightened back up on the front end, it drives SO Much better and I had to re-learn how not to compensate for the pulling when I hit the brakes :D Its AMAZING!!