93 Pathfinder: Camshaft bolt size (27mm?), and Balancer Puller

MrEviLDeD

Hey everyone! Been a very long time! I hope everyone is well! I think I am finally back on the road to recovery (knock on wood) so will be a bit more active again and can get back to my Pathfinder =)

With that said, I was wondering a few things. The bolt holding the harmonic balancer, is this a 27mm bolt? Can I remove this bolt with an impact wrench? Additionally does anyone have a suggestion on a harmonic balancer puller that isnt 50$ cdn? Is there a recommended tool from princess auto or CT that I should be looking for?

Water pump seized the other day when I started her up. Then seem to free itself. when I went out yesterday to start it again there was this clattering under the hood only to find that the water pump spindle (the part the fan and clutch assembly is connected to) is literally broken right off..So I have the waterpump, I have the timing belt and tensioner. So only thing left I can determine is how to get everyting apart as simply as possible. Have looked over a couple vids that explained it reasonably well but they always seem to SKIP over the removal of the balancer pully.

Anyhow glad to be back! Long live NAPORA!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've never had to use a puller to pull of the balancer, just some light taps with a block of wood and it slid right off. Before you put it back on make sure the crank snout and the inside of the balancer are clean and then smear a tiny bit of grease on the crank snout, not much but enough to keep moisture and corrosion to a minimum.

Sent from inside my potato

Thank you for the tips. I opted to pick up the 2 arm 4" puller.. I have the damndest luck with this truck and things just do not come off "easy" =) I will indeed try the light tapping just to see :) but at least I have a puller just in case. This is one of those jobs I need to get in and out of in a day, two, tops due to accessibility to the garage. Not heated either.. Another find pathfinder repair brought to you by the winters of Alberta. =)

Again thank you.

About the bolt. any chance you can verify that its 27mm

Heya Adamzan! How are your?

will the imperial have any play or will it fit snug? I have the 27mm socket now so just more of a point of knowledge.

Edited by MrEviLDeD

It fits snug. I lost my 27mm socket apparently so I have been using that when doing VG timing belts. And I have done quite a few in the last while, lol.

I'm doing well now, on some new meds so I can actually live and work, what about you?

It has been an up and down road but seems to be leveling out work is getting scarce but outside of that I am living as well as I could be expected. Thank you for asking.

The weather beat me today. Wind picked up and dropped the temp so will make another go of it tomorrow morning. Sometimes I think "someone/thing" is trying to tell me something =)

To bad I am as deaf as I am stubborn =)

Would an air impact wrench with the 27mm impact socket remove the harmonic balancer bolt? I mean opposed to breaker bar, or turning over the engine to break the nut.

I have most of it disassembled now. Man lots of little metal slugs from the water pump all over the place inside there. Had a few issues with the hoses as they were seated on pretty good. Is there a product that I can get to put on the hoses when I reassemble to help them seat back? I thought I had read someplace about something but man if I could remember the name.

Ok looks like I have taken a step back. The balancer isnt like any of the ones I have seen online so when I tried to use the vice grips to hold it back (the air compressor wasnt enough to remove the bolt). Long story short I have bent and looks like cracked the balancer. I simply do not have 400$ to replace it nor do any of the local wreckers have any compatible years... sigh...