Wiring back up lights to switch

Mrelcocko

Hey guys my 98 Pathy reverse lights don't work . Replaced switch twice and still they flicker. I have a 5 speed so that tells me whatever is inside the tranny that comes in contact with the reverse light switch is worn down rub off or whatever the problem is. The reason for my post is I want to wire my back up lights to a Switch and do away with the switch that goes into the side of the transmission all together. I've looked at the fsm wiring diagram for the back up lights and the switch has 2 wires. I know this is my 12v. The lights come on when I touch the 2 wires so how would I go about wiring a toggle switch so I can turn them on whenever I want. Remember I'm doing away with the back up switch. I've already cut the wires and routed them up by the gear shift for my toggle switch. I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire my switch in.

sent by MrCox in Lenoir City, TN

You do know that a replacement switch from Rock Auto is $6, right?

And it's just a simple switch. Two wires; one from the battery, the other to the reverse lamps. Just put a switch between the wires. If you want confirmation, just touch the two wires together and the lights should come on.

• Like 2

You do know that a replacement switch from Rock Auto is $6, right?

And it's just a simple switch. Two wires; one from the battery, the other to the reverse lamps. Just put a switch between the wires. If you want confirmation, just touch the two wires together and the lights should come on.

Done bought 2 switches. It's not the switches. What ever activates the reverse lights inside the transmission is either worn down or just plain worn out. And yes done looked in the fsm wiring diagram and know if I touch the two wires the backup lights will light up I've got a factory Nissan fog light switch that I want to hook up that when you turn it on the switch indicator is going to light up also.

Hey guys my 98 Pathy reverse lights don't work . Replaced switch twice and still they flicker. I have a 5 speed so that tells me whatever is inside the tranny that comes in contact with the reverse light switch is worn down rub off or whatever the problem is. The reason for my post is I want to wire my back up lights to a Switch and do away with the switch that goes into the side of the transmission all together. I've looked at the fsm wiring diagram for the back up lights and the switch has 2 wires. I know this is my 12v. The lights come on when I touch the 2 wires so how would I go about wiring a toggle switch so I can turn them on whenever I want. Remember I'm doing away with the back up switch. I've already cut the wires and routed them up by the gear shift for my toggle switch. I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire my switch in.

Let me clarify whatever is on the inside of transmission that hits the outside switch is going bad and I really don't feel like taking the transmission apart or whatever you have to do to fix that

• Like 1

Let me clarify whatever is on the inside of transmission that hits the outside switch is going bad and I really don't feel like taking the transmission apart or whatever you have to do to fix that

I see. Still a bit surprising. I wouldn't imagine anything in that regard would wear out. I mean, how much time do you spend in reverse?

Well, as far as the switch goes, since it's an OE one it probably has more than one contact. You need a multimeter to find the two contacts that show continuity when the switch is closed. Then just hook up the wires to those two contacts. Doesn't matter which wire goes to which contact; the switch just needs to complete the circuit.

Edited by hawairish