Electric FUN! ( not so much )

D99er

I have the infamous headlight problem. High beams work, then don't work. Fog lights work on low beam setting, low beams don't. I have replaced the headlight switch, headlight bulbs, headlight relay. I am assuming a short or loose connection. Wanted to post to see if I could get a quick spot to directly start.

The other fun issue that my 99 is having is an intermittent check engine light. Checked the intake for leaks, gas cap seems fine. I took it to a shop needed it fixed to go out of town. They first replaced the spark plugs, which I knew was not the problem because I replaced them a year ago. They then said there scanner/computer was saying miss fire cylinder 4. They replaced the injector. The engine light was gone do to them clearing it, and I truly felt this was the issue. I drove 3 hours out of town and back no problem. Got home next day the car was missing like it was previous. I just knew the SES light was going to come back. Sure enough, it did. The odd thing is sometimes it flashes and then stays on; other times it just comes on and stays on.

Please help..

BTW 99 QX4, Pro comp wheels, Goodyear Wranglers, window rain guards, roof basket, yakima bike racks, thats about it for now.

Thanks

Welcome aboard.

Try taking apart the headlight's steering column stalk and checking/cleaning the contacts.

Do you know what codes were pulled? If you don't have access to a scanner, you can pull and clear the codes manually. I can post the instructions if needed. Though, there are many cheap scanners out there, and nearly all auto parts stores will scan for free. You'll want to check if there are any stored or pending codes. Otherwise, it may be something odd like an electrical short or wire that's grounding improperly...a real PITA to trace.

Alright, you have a #4 misfire and it's not the plug or the injector. If the injector or its wiring were the issue I would expect it to code for a bad injector, not a random misfire. I would check the #4 plug wire and the distributor cap for wear/arcing/etc. Maybe mist a bit of water at the plug wire and see if it gets worse, or switch it for a different wire if possible and see if the code follows the wire or stays where it is.

The light issue is an odd one. Not the switch, not the bulbs, not a relay issue. Do you have a voltmeter? Even a tail light bulb and a couple wires will work for this in a pinch. Turn on the lights, and if the bulbs don't light, pull one bulb out and test from power in the socket to a known good ground, like a body bolt, or the battery if your wire is long enough. If you have power from the high or low beam contact to the body or battery, but not from high or low to the ground in the plug, you have a bad ground. Look up where the headlights ground in the service manual, find that ground (should be in the EL section), fix it if it's damaged, clean it if it's corroded.

Thank you guys for the responses. I will check for power as stated above. I will also check and clean the contact points in the steering column.

As far as the injector issue, I was a lil frustrated/Pissed when the shop called and said it was injector #2 now. The mechanic of the shop was convinced it is a fluke thing and since I now have 203K on the car, that it is just a matter of time before they all go out. I just find this to coincidental. But, what do you do?