Broke a CV joint...... With my bare hands!

jjonez

So this past weekend I decided to install my 2" spacer lift from Fleury's on the front struts of my 2002. Driver's one goes ok, albeit with some major wrestling to get the bottom of the strut back onto the knuckle. The second one starts off even better than the first, with removing the strut and installing the spacers taking half the time.

When it comes time to reinstall the strut is where things go south. I'm messing with the strut and knuckle for 45 minutes when suddenly there's a clunk and all the sudden I have plenty of free play and they slide together no problem. Turns out I really screwed something up in the outer CV joint on the passenger side. I can't tell what 's wrong exactly cuz of the boot, but it seems like something separated in there.

20160801_091219.jpg

And here's the good one for comparison

20160801_091235.jpg

Anybody ever break a CV just by pulling on it?? I thought they would be more robust... In hindsight there's several ways I could have avoided this, probably most simply by removing the snap ring to allow the spindle to slide around in the hub. Dang it. Thankfully I already have warn hubs on there or it would be completely undrivable. There's still a connection in the joint but it clunks and binds like crazy.

Next order of business, I need a new CV axle. Rock auto has stuff for around 50 bucks, but I was told to avoid the cheap stuff, or even aftermarket all together in regards to CV's since they apparently aren't made to OE standards and are more likely to break. Napa sells store-brand remanufactured ones for around $100 after core charge, I was told this could be a safe bet. Another option I'm keen on is trying to find a suitable replacement from a junkyard. There's a place near me with a few 4x4 pathfinders and xterras. Any input on the most suitable route to take? Thanks for any and all advice!

JJ

this has happened to me as well when installing new struts. you haven't broken anything unless you've been driving like this. then it is pretty much screwed. I'd find a JK replacement left or right doesn't matter they will either fit both sides. what has happened is the joint has slipped over a snap ring. next time this happens if you have a bench vice, snap ring pliers and a heavy plastic mallet, you can just fix it. plenty of how to videos on Youtube. I've found that removing the shaft makes strut replacement much easier.

Edited by bushnut

Thank you! That would be something to combine with cleaning, greasing, and replacing the boot right? Because it has to come off anyways to get at the snap ring? I drove it maybe 5 feet with the hubs locked, then to work with them unlocked, so it's probably screwed. I'll pick up a junkyard replacement for the time being, and at some point maybe get around to taking the busted one apart to see the damage.

I haven't removed a CV before, would it be a bad idea to remove it and continue driving with it off for the time being? I'm not sure if that would expose anything in the hub or front diff...

Driving with the hub unlocked shouldn't hurt anything. I guess you could've borked it in the five feet you drove with it engaged, but I'd be kinda surprised. Pull it apart, inspect for damage, and if it's good, grease it and throw it back together.

The diff is just a bolted flange, so no worries there. The hub end doesn't hold the wheel bearing together like it does on some trucks (I think Dodge does it like that?) but it does have a seal for the back of the wheel bearing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, I was able to replace it with a R50 CV from a junkyard with the boots intact. For how long remains to be seen. I'll eventually open up the old one to see the damage when I get a little more time/motivation.

I pulled mine apart doing the drivers side on my 2001. Putting on 2" spacers. However the second I felt it coming apart I jammed it back together. And it's been fine. Idk I probably have a snap ring missing or holding by a thread just waiting to cause issues down the line. 2" is definitely pushing the CV to its limit.