1997 OD Light Flashing and No Power

My 97 was running just fine then today when I started it the CEL came on and the truck was sluggish and jerking on acceleration. I then noticed the od light flashing and the lack of power.

I had several codes including bank 1 o2 sensor,knock sensor,emissions systems and a gear 1 and gear 2 out of range.Sorry I did not save the P #s.I cleared the codes last night but now theres still a miss.In neutral when I put it to the floor it struggles to hit 4000 rpm.

This was a good running truck with new dist cap,plugs fuel filter,knock sensor,o2 sensor and more.

Any ideas what could be causing this

Interesting it's got all that at once. I suspect the trans computer got confused by the engine running like crap, though I haven't heard of it doing that. I'd focus on getting the motor first.

Is it a consistent miss like one cylinder isn't firing at all or does it come and go like a fuel mix problem?

If it's one cylinder that's not firing, figure out which cylinder it is and make sure it's getting spark, check the plug, make sure it's not something like the plug wire not seating properly.

flashing MIL and/or OD light could indicate a misfire, which is backed up by the poor drivability you're experiencing. Start by checking the tightness of the distributor rotor, reseat your plug wires on the cap, and reseat the plug wires on the spark plugs.

If that doesn't help, I suspect that your coil is failing. Installation of a new distributor may fix it.

Thanks.I'll be taking a look at it tonite.One thing I failed to mention was that the speedo quit working at the same time....not sure if that changes anything but thought I'd mention it.

I read the codes and got both a P0300 and a P0500.The 500 is the VSS malfunction, I used the live feature on the reader and drove the truck,the vehicle speed remained at zero.Where is the VSS located?

AS for the P0300 - I'm not too sure where to start.

The VSS is located on the passenger side of the transfer case of a 4WD Pathfinder.

As mentioned earlier, the P0300 misfire code could be due to a bad coil in the distributor. If your plugs and wires are relatively new, try replacing the distributor.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread.

The P0300 was not the distributor.I swapped in a known good distributor and still the same.I pulled the MAF sensor and sprayed carb clean onto a Q-tip and cleaned both filaments carefully.The truck revs normally now.

As for the p0500-I swapped in a new VSS and was able to clear the code.

Going to test drive now.Hopefully all good.

• Like 2

Yep,when the MAF gets dirty it causes all kinds of stuff. probably went into limp mode or something. strange how the vss crapped out at the same time. sounds like you found the just of it. happy to hear it.

Pat

Yep,when the MAF gets dirty it causes all kinds of stuff. probably went into limp mode or something. strange how the vss crapped out at the same time. sounds like you found the just of it. happy to hear it.

Pat