Oil Pressure Light when Starting?

DarekG

Hey Guys,

I'm honestly not sure if this is a new thing, or if it's normal and I haven't noticed it until recently. One day after work I went to start my R50 and I kind of half-assed it when I turned the key so it sounded like it didn't start/died but then it kind of went "Brupbrupbrup" and started up anyways.

While it was brup'ing I noticed the oil pressure light was on, on my dash. But went away immediately after it started.

Now that I noticed the light I watch it when I start the vehicle, when I start it up it briefly flashes - You wouldn't notice unless you were watching it.

Is this normal?

I recently did an oil change but only put in 5w30 - It's about 30 degrees celcius here daily - Maybe I should be putting in a thicker oil, especially if I'm 4x4ing/exploring/idling a lot? Thoughts?

Mine does it too, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The oil pump needs RPM to spin the oil pump to create sufficient flow. That light is basically a flow meter/dummy light, if the car is on and there is not enough flow it will illuminate(just like before you start it). Unless it does it while idling regularly I wouldn't sweat it.

Sounds normal to me. When the engine was just barely ticking over, it wasn't pumping oil fast enough, so the oil pressure was low. Then it caught properly, the pump started spinning fast enough to do its job, and the light went out. So long as the oil light doesn't stay on or come on while driving you're good.