A special tool for rear lower control arm? 2000 pathy 4wd

kane

Hello folks. Is there a special tool used to remove the driver side-rear lower control arm? Something that can get above the fuel tank, and make the bend to grab some back-up on the bolt? Perhapse a breaker bar that is shaped to fit up in there? I believe the control arm is also refered to as a trailing arm...but don't quote me.

Not to my knowledge, but I haven't done that job yet. A lot of people have though, so I'm sure someone can inform you how they did it/what they did it with.

Yes, 'trailing arm' is what most people here will know them as. Have you tried the search function or looked in the R50 (1996-2004) FAQ section?

Since this is a specific question, not really an introduction per se, I'm going to move this into the R50 section for greater exposure.

Good Luck!

B

• Like 1

I just used a box-end wrench on the head of the bolt and let it wedge against part of the chassis as I took a breaker bar to the nut. It took a little bit of turning to get the wrench to wedge against something.

I think my bear claws are just too fat to fit up there and crank on the box end at the same time. I've tried and tried but either my wrench, socket, or everything else i've tried just falls off when i'm cranking on it.

I may need to incorporate a second set of hands. I cant hold and wrench at the same time :(

I just did this a week ago took so long i only managed to get the upper two done, just did the lower two arms last night, shes drives so nice now, even with the poly upgrade i did. While the arm in question was the absolute WORST to get to, i managed to get it off with a craftsmen breaker bar with the 19mm on to the nut, the bar will go a hair past 90º and that was enough to get the bar in the super narrow gap.A HEALTHY coating of PB Blaster (or penetrating oil of your choice) is a must. Like i said, i was a bear, but that's how i did it. Just make sure not to smash your hand into the load sensing valve hard lines that will be directly below.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Thank you for the info guys. I haven't had an opportunity to get under there again this week. Perhapse next week...? She bangs hard on the bumps, and i mean HARD! I've noticed a haeavier sounding and feeling CLUNK when i'm coming off of an incline like a speed bump than going on-to them.

In any event, i'm waiting for fedEx to deliver front lower control arms, ball joints, front springs, shocks, sway bar ends, and sway bar bushings.

In the rear I've changed the springs and shocks already. waiting for delivery of rear sway bushings.

Once i get all of that ironed out i'm gonna do Fleurys 2.5'' in the front and 2'' in the rear. Also looking for some wheel spacers as well, I have stock wheels and will probably stick with them and upgrade tires eventually. After i nail down a decent priced set of spacers. I'm open to suggestions and recomendations and also willing to buy used.