Transmission fluid drip from radiator.

95pathyguySD

I hope I caught it in time, but I have a major drip from the bottom of the radiator of transmission fluid dirty reddish pink oil. I think it's dirty because its rolling down and dripping off road grime. Radiator fluid looks clean from the cap.I checked the tranny fluid level and its clean looking as well. I will investigate more this weekend. I wont drive it till it's solved.

I'm gonna guess and say my tranny lines have a leak or my tranny cooler in the radiator developed a crack and is leaking.

So, was doing some research here and and found tranny coolers but...

Hayden Automotive 514 High Performance Transmission Cooler

B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

Hayden Automotive 679 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler

B&M Model # 70268. 13,000 BTU

B&M 70264: B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers

TRANSMISSION COOLER BY LONG MFG LPD4589

So decisions decisions.

Probably will replace radiator as well since its most likely gonna have issues if the tranny is having issues.

More to come.

I don't think I would go so far as to write off the rad until I knew where exactly the leak is from. I found that the previous owner simply replaced the lines with those for a fuel line (bad bad BAD decision) that were oversize ( SERIOUSLY....dude!) And I spent two days screwing around with hoses, fittings clamps and laying in the street and a parking lot fixing it but the rad itself is still tight like a tiger. So I cut around the trans cooler in the rad, clamped up new transmission hoses with new clamps and no transmission leaks..... I still have the engines' rear main seal to replace though.

• Like 1

My transmission lines still had the old style u-shaped clamps, the ones that have a phillips head style bolt. They kept leaking and I was getting sick of cleaning red fluid off the hoses. Took the old clamps off and replaced with new worm drive clamps. Kept the old style u-clamps as a memento for the tool box :sly:

• Like 1

AFAIK the strawberry milkshake of death (coolant getting into the tranny cooler) isn't a common fault on WD21s, so you've probably just got an external leak. My bet would be a bad hose. +1 on the stock clamps being a pain, probably best to have new ones on hand in case they put up a fight. I usually end up destroying them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Im back on the road finally.

Thanks guys for all the advice. It was the Transmission cooler in the radiator leaking behind the bottom plastic. The radiator is okay but i just ended up replacing the whole unit. I have a additional trans cooler I will install in a few months as I just wanna test the new radiator and see if it functions as normal then will add the additional trans cooling at a later date.

• Like 2