ARB bumper

Sparkyonbass

So what do we do since they don't make ARB bumpers for Nissan wd21 pathfinders anymore?

Can we use the hardbody one? Do we have to mod it for a non-lifted pathy? And how hard would it be to mod if it needed? I'm not planning on lifting my pathfinder. It's still stock height.

And what about TAG? I've seen mixed reviews. Have they cleaned up their act? I don't live far from there, so I can save money on shipping by just picking it up myself (and I can inspect it before it leaves their facility).

I'm wanting to add a winch. But the tin foil equivalent parts on the front end won't hold up for recovery. I'd love to build one myself, but I don't have the ability (or knowledge yet) to weld. So doing one myself isn't an option right now.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do. I've gone through the forums but a lot of them are older and the companies that people list don't exist anymore or the parts are discontinued. The only thing I've seen is the hardbody ARB and TAG. Is this all that remains out there for the wd21 except for personal custom fabrication?

You could probably get something made locally for about half of the price of an ARB. The Hardbody bumper would require a 1.5" body lift or modification since the body sat higher off of the frame than the WD21.

^This. The ARB modification for height isn't a hard one, but it does require some cutting/welding. As an ARB owner, I think they make a great product, and I also think they are a bit overpriced. I'd recommend having one made locally at a 4x4 fab shop or take a gamble with the TAG units (I have no experience with them).

This thread might help. I'll dimension what I have, and I'm due to finish up take-2 and get the bumper out of the garage in the next month...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/37073-how-to-build-a-winch-bumper/?hl=%2Bbumper+%2Bdimensions&do=findComment&comment=709141

B

Yeah,we have the same problem with R50's. I don't know about modifying a hardbody bumper, but if I was close to TAG I might try them. I would get it unpainted so I could check the welds. I would also make sure that the mounting brackets tied into the subframe instead of just attaching to the unibody crush cans. The last one I saw for a R50 on this forum only mounted to the crush cans which made it almost useless for winching. If you're not going to use a winch it might be Ok,but with me, overkill is under rated. I think TAG would be Ok if you watch them. Good luck!

I can get simple cutting and welding done. At least for dirt cheap and probably for free(on a good day maybe). But looking at all the mounts and looking at what a few people have done (photos on Google help) I'm starting to think of just doing it all myself.

I worked in machine shops a long time ago and did everything but weld and paint (I've painted elsewhere, I just didn't do it at the machine shop). I did a lot of cutting, grinding, and assisting the guys welding by helping move everything and line it all up for welding. I also did a lot in CAD design of racks and carts.

One of the main cars I designed would handle a 6000 lb load and could be pushed by a person very easily while loaded. So I can design something overkill (but I need to be barrel of weight).

So all I'd really need to get down is welding skills. And I've been wanting to learn that anyway. This might be another good reason to learn it.

If I can get a good template, cut straight, and weld straight, then I could build a bumper.

I had another crazy thought in all of this... I may just save myself a little effort and recycle 3 parts of my current factory grill guard. 1&2 being the headlight guards (the do protect the lights from branches pretty well). 3 would be the tube cross bar with the light mounts. I'd just build some beefy uprights to bolt them to.

And looking at the back of my Pathfinder, I'm really thinking of doing a rear bumper as well. Mainly so I can move my licence plate up 2" and then move my hitch up 2" and move my 7 pin connector into the bumper. That would give me a freaking awesome departure angle.

Heck, if I can pull this off, I might be able to help a bunch of wd21 owners out as well.

The best way to learn to weld is to do. Try welding tips and tricks ( also on YouTube), Jody is a great welder and I can only hope to be that good someday. Make sure that you use an insulating / shielding gas since it will help with quality and finish (and buy the big tank because it doesn't go bad and will still be useful as long as there is electricity!).