Dumbfounded

JosephMartin

New here,hello guys....so, here it is...my 99Pathfinder just wouldn't start one day, was running great. It wants to start, but most of the time it just won't, but, when it does, it idles fantastic, in park, I hit the gas and it's strong as ever! It will idle all day, however, when I put it in a gear, it starts to jerk a little, then it will choke out and die. It's hard to start, wants to, and after awhile it does and sounds strong! New fuel filter, fluids good, no weird sounds. I just don't get it. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time y'all!!

P0505-idle air control malfunction. What RPM does it idle in while in park? If you give it a very slight amount of gas(very slight, you aren't wanting to neutral drop it, try to keep it at 1k or under) while holding your foot firmly on the brake, can you get it to get into gear and then take off? Does the idle go up/down when you turn on or off the a/c compressor or turn the wheel while parked?

Oh no, THAT dreaded code! I went through this last spring. It is more than likely it is your IAC like Novapath mentioned. I had that same issue. The tricky part about it is when your IAC goes bad it could send a short to your ECM and burn one of the components. That's what I experienced. Had to have my ECM repaired and replaced my IAC. That fixed all issues. I have the 3.5 so I don't know of its the same for the 3.3.

Idle air valve probably stuck or the spring is broken.

Pull it and clean it out good with carb cleaner. Then make sure you can move the valve freely. If the spring is broken then it will need to be replaced. If all is good, then you can ohm check it. Should be about 10 ohm resistance.

Edited by Rebelord

I'm confused, why are you redoing your timing?

I apologize I don't have the same engine so I can't tell you for sure but when I rev mine the left front fender lifts, which means the engine is spinning left or ccw at the crank, so when facing the engine from the front it would be cw.

Good luck with whatever your up to! :)

Well, hours and hours of work, and it was not timing. Keep thinking and have always thought fuel pump, but do fuel pumps "gradually" go? Or do they just quit? Trying to keep my head, it's late, and I feel like my head is full of nuts and bolts lol....tired.

01 pathfinder: I hear you, It is frustrating when we are trying to help but there is no acknowledgement or comment of the previous suggestions.

I think it is foolish to mess with timing on one of these until you at least check the reason the check engine light tells you...best of luck to you I hope you figure it out.

Thanks Nova....I'm no quitter, and will get past this. Couldn't have happened at a worse time, holidays and all ugh....the check engine light has been on for the past two owners, they were very "up" on this pathy, and took great care of it. They both said mechanics are clueless as to why light is on. It's ran like a top for years for them, I've had it almost two months. I replaced water pump and thermostat about a month ago, had to tear down the front to expose water pump, so I thought I may have jumped a tooth when putting it back together. Timing was fine turned out. Thanks again.....any suggestions would be fantastic lol

There is no way for us to tell "why" the check engine light is on, was told by the owner it's been on for years and was on for the one owner before him. Both parties couldn't figure out why even after taking it in.

All of you have mentioned an air idler valve.....I think I need to look at this, and the p0505 code we pulled also suggests idle malfunction. This project has nickel and dimed me, and pocket feels it. Hope this ends soon. Thank you all for helping me in this with insight and direction....forgive me if I don't respond directly to questions, or in a timely manner.

Then at this point follow all procedures for diagnostic in the FSM.

You will have to follow it to a T and it will guide you to the issue.

This. Especially for anything code related, you should always consult the Factory Service Manual...it spells out all the troubleshooting procedures for all codes.

Do a Google search for "Pathfinder FSM"...it'll take you to the NICO website where they're all freely available.

• Like 1

FSM? "Fail Safe Manual"??? Just a guess....

Factory Service Manual. Your new bible...

No need to google search, the link is the first one pinned in this thread, in the Garage section...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/26616-factory-service-manuals/

I believe the EC section is the one you want for the IACV, but look up the error code P0505 and follow the diagnostics exactly. This is the same manual a Nissan mechanic would use, so don't interpret it, just follow it. The OBD2 system is very specific about what is going on, so if two previous owners and their mechanics couldn't figure it out, someone wasn't trying or someone was lying...

B

• Like 2

Gmornin guys. Happy Halloween. Well, I got a Hanes manual, a new fuel pump, maf sensor and throttle body sensor.....it's 730am, about to get back on it. Any tips on droppn fuel tank would be great, pops gunna do sensors.

Wait. What?

Did you follow the FSM for your issue?

Well, if your gonna swap the fuel pump anyways. Dont need to drop the tank. Open the rear door left/drivers side. Flip up the bottom seat. Access cover right there for the fuel pump. Have at it.

Good luck. . . . .... . . .

• Like 2