Violent shaking...

Bobsteriffic

So I just tried to get on the freeway and my Pathy started shaking for some reason. I'm guessing it has something to do with the transmission, but I'm not sure. The RPM's stayed consistent at about 2200 going roughly 60MPH, but it felt like it became harder to accelerate.

I didn't fully push down the accelerator at that point though, considering I was scared that it might blow apart lmao

Any ideas on what this might be? Thank you so much.

Kind of hard to pinpoint without seeing the rig. Start looking at things. Driveline, u joints, torsion rod bushings.

Don't automatically assume transmission til you have ruled out the other things first.

@adamzan

Haha, good one! :laugh:

As for everything else, so far the only two times it's done it is when it's going from 20-60MPH (getting on the freeway.) Does that rule anything out?

Edited by Bobsteriffic

So, heavy throttle situation? First thing I'd check/look for is vacuum leaks or fuel starvation (when is the last time the fuel filter was changed). Vacuum leaks can be chased visually and with a can of WD40. Spray it on a suspect area with the engine running, and if the idle increases/changes, it is leaking...

B

If it is that inconsistent, it is probably sensor/wiring in nature. Vacuum leaks and fuel issues generally aren't intermittent.

Might want to go through the sensor connectors looking for corrosion or loose wires...

B

For me the violent shaking was worn out control arm bushings, both upper and lower. Check all rubbers under the front and also the rear bushings. Myine was so bad you'd get up to 55 mph and the steering wheel would vibrate out of your hands like you would literally have to hang on for dear life.

If it is that inconsistent, it is probably sensor/wiring in nature. Vacuum leaks and fuel issues generally aren't intermittent.

Might want to go through the sensor connectors looking for corrosion or loose wires...

B

Hopefully I don't sound too senseless when I ask this, but by "sensor connectors" you mean the wires that are located on top and around the engine correct? I just want to make sure I don't miss any spots haha!

Yes. The wiring harness around the engine, but specifically the connectors like at the temp sensors, MAF, TPS, ETC... :D

Not hard to do, costs nothing, but is just one more thing you are ruling out. Check for loose pins as well as wires and corrosion.

B

Update: checked under the hood and made sure all the wires were fully plugged in. They all seemed okay, but it's now been 2 days since she's shown an issue so it's very odd... I'll keep reporting back when I find something new!