Getting Fresh Air inside without turning on AC? 2003 SE

Chook

Just bought this two weeks ago, and I have the automatic HVAC AC system in my SE where you adjust the temp up and down and with buttons and it does the rest. I am trying to figure out how to just have fresh air come in through the vents instead of the AC coming on etc. Is there any way to do this? It seems all I can do is pick which vents I want the system to come out, defrost, body, feet, or a combo of them. What if I just want fresh air coming through the vents? I'm guessing I am going to have to open the windows for fresh air???

Yes, but the Econ mode is for heating. Says so in the owners manual, as well as to not set the temperature below the outside temp while in Econ mode. You want non-Auto, non-Econ, non-recirculation if you want fresh, cool, non-AC, outside air.

Interesting. When I want the breeze but not the noise of the windows down I turn the temp all the way down and hit the econ button. Blows cool outside air no issues. I wonder why they say not to?

Honestly, I don't get it either, and I've done it that way before too without issue. The only reason I knew it from the manual is because I couldn't figure out what "Econ" has to do with climate controls. Still don't know!

To me it's because it's more "economical" to not drag the motor down with the compressor so they have a button to shut it off even though default is on. Maybe they tell you not to because it's impossible to cool past the outside temp when the compressor isn't running. Basically "don't waste your time trying, it's not going to work."

It's be nice if they realized the easiest way to do things is have a dedicated A/C switch. Works just fine on the manual HVAC rigs. Hell my '87 Z with the auto system had an econ button.

It's be nice if they realized the easiest way to do things is have a dedicated A/C switch. Works just fine on the manual HVAC rigs. Hell my '87 Z with the auto system had an econ button.

Exactly. Auto AC is too fancy for me. I liked it in my Frontier: want AC? Just press the AC button.

You can also press the "mode" button to just open the vents up and let fresh air in, I do that a lot to minimize fan noise and hear my music better. Works for heat too in the winter.