Terrano or Pathfinder?

IH1200scout

Hello

I am living in Lima Peru but I was born and raised in the USA. I am going to drive from lima to Washington state early next year, 2016.

I currently own a Mitsubishi Mirage, but will sell it to buy a SUV to make the trip. My dilemma or question is this, I can buy a 1998 to 2005 Pathfinder or Terrano here, several available for sale, I want a Turbo diesel gearshift 4x4, but the problem is Pathfinders nearly all have the gas motor with 5-speed and the Terranos are Turbo Diesel with automatics. Does anybody know if the auto transmissions are ok? or something I should check out before buying one, during the test drive. There are very few diesel with manual gearbox combos so I will try to get one of those, just dont want to needlessly limit my choices.

Cheers

Hey scout,

My 01 Pathfinder LE has the 3.5L DOHC with the automatic and the electric 4x4 switch. At basically stock level, its taken on nasty back country trails here in Oklahoma and never missed a beat. I never had the thought thought that I needed more power, even fully loaded with gear which added close to 250lbs. Even stock R50s are surprisingly capable machines, mine is amazing even at 186k miles. Either way you go, I think you'll be just fine.

Edited by SteelTeel

Quick question: you planning to stay in the WA for a while (years?). One thing to consider is what's going to be easier to get parts for if you need them. The diesel was never offered here, so parts availability (and possibly service) are slim stateside.

While I would love to see a Terrano stateside (especially near me in WA. hawairish is right TD parts will not be stocked, and will expensive ship and get from JAPAN, as stated above.

I can't speak for the transmission from personal experience, but I don't see a lot of people with Trans issues on the forums much.

-Kyle

I would check the imported vehicle registration, safety and emissions laws in WA state before buying a vehicle to operate there, whether gas or diesel powered. There could be complications with certain emissions or safety components that would make an imported Pathfinder or Terrano unable to be registered.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/425/~/registering-a-foreign-registered-vehicle,-car-or-motorcycle-in-the-u.s.-with

Edited by XPLORx4